simultaneous stalemate and checkmate

I see the point. If we were to change the rules of chess, such that victory consisted of actually capturing the king, and it were legal to end one’s own move in check, then the game would be almost entirely unchanged, beyond opening up the possibility for a stupid mistake or an unusual way of conceding. And a game with that variant rule would be simpler, and it opens up the possibility of a lot of other variant rules. The only reason we don’t use that rule in official chess is because of long tradition, originating from some notion of the specialness of royalty. And yet, in the situation the OP describes, it makes a difference.

“If we changed the rules of the game, it would occasionally make a difference in how the game played out.”

OK, can’t argue with that.

Simultaneous stalemate and checkmate will never happen in chess unless you change the rules to allow it. Also, let’s change the rules to allow the pawns to be able to self destruct and take out all pieces in adjacent spaces. That would also occasionally make a difference in how the game is played.

It would be a pretty major change. A large number of endgames are drawn because of stalemate ideas based on the defender not being able to put himself in check. They would all change from draws to wins.

They say this. Am I the only one who reads my posts?

You know what, I now see exactly where you’re coming from. Unfortunately, as others have said, you’re not going to get a more satisfying answer than “those are the rules”.

Ooo…I hate it when people do that to me. Credit where credit’s due.