SIU President shows evidence of graduating Bulla Cum Shit years ago

MLK Jr. and JFK were both shot to death. What else would you suggest be done to them for their alleged plagiarism?

\

Well, if it is suggested that this dude loses his career for a lesser miss-step, why don’t we stop naming *every fucking street *in America after MLK, eh?

At my school, we get expelled on our second plagiarism offense, whether it be inadvertent or not. We can also be reported for plagiarism if we have made an effort to cite something, but done so incorrectly. That isn’t common, but it is left up to the professors whether or not they report a plagiarism offense. So, I think it would be rather needless to say that if our president were found doing something like this, he would not be around very long.

ISWYDT.

Part of it is simply given the hagiagraphy towards those two figures in US history, I don’t think that there’s anything that can be done, at this time, to even adjust their images. Any criticism of either man seems to be met with a resounding call of what a great man he was, and so, one should stop trying to tarnish his image or legacy.

Part of it is that I don’t know what would be appropriate for either figure.

I already believe that JFK is the most overrated figures in US history.

I think that MLK Jr, whatever other flaws he had, has accomplishments that are worth honoring all the same. (Yes, this means I don’t believe the same of JFK. Start the shit storm.) Without condoning his plagiarism, I do not see that it forms a cornerstone of the actions for which he is remembered today.

But what could we do about their plagiarisms?

Do you really suggest that because other plagiarists have gotten away with it, in the past, we should simply ignore this case? Action can be taken with regards to Poshard’s plagiarism. It is my opinion that there is nothing that can be done about that of JFK, or MLK Jr.

Or do you really think that there’s any benefit to exhuming the bodies so they can face the proper punishments for their crimes? I know that any number of persons have been executed post mortem, so, I guess firing a dead man from his position for plagiarism is a bit less extreme…

:smiley:

That cracked me up. Thanks.

It really is easy to accidentally plagiarize. I lived in fear of it through undergrad. Either I never did it or I never got caught; I’ll never know. Hell, in my last paper in Organic Letters, I completely forgot to cite someone whose work I was talking about. :smack: I’m pretty sure I had originally put it in, but I’m a bit new at using Endnote and I probably deleted it at some point. I didn’t notice, nor did my advisor or any of the other coauthors. The only reason it got put back in is because one of the anonymous peer reviewers caught it.

Granted, this was just one little slip, and from those PDFs linked above, this guy seems to have copied an awful lot of text. Still, I don’t think a zero-tolerance policy is always appropriate for this stuff, mostly because I’m sure I’m going to fuck up at some point. I’m very careful, but when you’re writing a lengthy paper things get mixed up and disorganized. The more prolific I become the greater the likelihood that I mess up.

In lacking a citation, did the paper thereby imply original authorship of the material you’re talking about?

If not, then that’s not plagiarism. It’s just a failure to cite.

-FrL-

For the record, I’m an SIU alum and I absolutely DO NOT condone plagarism. It’s especially unacceptable from the head of the university and I believe that Glenn Poshard is due everything that’s coming to him since this has come to light.

My only question is: What is the statute of limitations on plagarism? At what point do we say that the crime is too far in the past to be effectively remedied?

MLK became famous for crusading for civil rights. Even if he was a plagiarist, that doesn’t take away from the fact that he helped lead a very important movement, and helped turn back oppression.

It always comes back to black people, doesn’t it?

It sure does when you’re the first one to bring it up. Until now it was about a famous person who has been accused, with much justification, of plagiarism. You were the very first person to speak of anything other than academics.

You’re protesting too much, Airman.

I didn’t protest a bit. I pointed out a fact.

The difference is the hypocrisy factor. Closeted right-wing conservative senators who regularly votes against rights for gays should be given a harder time than ones who aren’t as hypocritical. Judges who break laws should be looked at with a harder light. Infidelity by preachers is a bigger deal than cheating by plumbers.

Plagiarism by a university president is worse than by others.

The [del]cover-up[/del] enquiry is worthless. Having a subordinate looking into a boss’s behavior is worthless.

From the article referenced in my OP:

InLucemEdita-If you don’t condone it, then be firm. Don’t weasel.

Ah, the race card is played. :rolleyes: