Small government advocate wants police to harass distraught women

I’m (now) a small government advocate and I vehemently object to the government trying to redefine words for us such as abortion to murder. I prefer the government stay out of it and let the people decide. If we want to call murder an ‘adult abortion’, then that’s ok too

Er… yeah, sorta. The “chilling” part would be the attempt to criminalize abortion itself. If that weren’t part of the package, perhaps this language alone would itself be chilling, but I think that it pales next to the very real changes being proposed.

But my whole point is: of all that’s untenable about this bill, the complaint this thread highlights is one that doesn’t really exist. Here’s a bill that purports to explicitly outlaw abortion and explicitly declares the Supreme Court of the United States had no power to interpret the federal constitution in the way it did. THOSE are the rant-able aspects of the bill.

I’ve seen as much online, but doesn’t “murder” have some specific meaning under Georgia law?

Current law states that fetal deaths have to be reported, and in certain circumstances, their cause has to be investigated. What I’m asking is if they are presently charged and prosecuted in the same way that a murder is.

That Rep is just begging for Sheri Tepper’s Fresco solution, if anyone knows what I mean.

Good point. Maybe you could open a thread to rant about them. :smiley:

Has to do with an award-nominated sci-fi story, as near as I can tell. Please feel free to elaborate.

Bricker,

Just as a for instance, when I look at Georgia law regarding the death penalty, it appears to be the case that someone may be sentenced to death for committing murder. I can find no evidence to suggest that presently, someone could be sentenced to death for causing fetal death.

Also, it seems that the law defines causing any fetal death as also being conspiracy to commit murder per se. Doesn’t that have a specific and different meaning than current law regarding fetal death?

No.

And if this bill were law, they still wouldn’t be.

What part of Georgia law provides that some murders shall be excluded from the process of criminal charge and prosecution?

Oh, sure. Lots of stuff like that could happen if this bill were law. What I’m talking about here is the claim that miscarriages would have to be investigated. There is a law right now concerning the reporting of certain fetal deaths, and those reporting requirements wouldn’t change if this current bill became law. But there are OTHER things this current bill would do, like allow the state to punish people who committed “fetal murder” as a crime.

According to this proposed law “(d) Any person committing prenatal murder in this state shall be guilty of a felony and, upon conviction, shall be punished as provided in subsection (d) of Code Section 16-5-1.”
Georgia Code - Crimes and Offenses - Title 16, Section 16-5-1
Legal Research Home > Georgia Laws > Crimes and Offenses > Georgia Code - Crimes and Offenses - Title 16, Section 16-5-1
(a) A person commits the offense of murder when he unlawfully and with malice aforethought, either express or implied, causes the death of another human being.
(b) Express malice is that deliberate intention unlawfully to take the life of another human being which is manifested by external circumstances capable of proof. Malice shall be implied where no considerable provocation appears and where all the circumstances of the killing show an abandoned and malignant heart.
(c) A person also commits the offense of murder when, in the commission of a felony, he causes the death of another human being irrespective of malice.
(d) A person convicted of the offense of murder shall be punished by death or by imprisonment for life.
Last modified: April 21, 2006

Seems pretty clear that they would be.

ocga § 45-16-24.

Yes. But what is “prenatal murder,” according to this proposed bill?

(emphasis added)

So, as I said above, there’s no question that this bill purports to criminalize intentional acts causing the death of a fetus.

What it does not do is require investigation in cases of miscarriage.

Well, tell me how it would be determined whether a miscarriage occurred as a result of intentional harm to the fetus without an investigation?

What miscarriages would be excluded under the following language “: (3) When a spontaneous fetal death required to be reported by this Code section occurs without medical attendance at or immediately after the delivery or when inquiry is
required by Article 2 of Chapter 16 of Title 45, the ‘Georgia Death Investigation Act,’ the proper investigating official shall investigate the cause of fetal death and shall prepare and file the report within 30 days; and”

Again, how do you get there without an investigation?

Link please, or quote of the relevant language?

Here’s what I found for 45-16-24:

Where in there does it say that Georgia will not pursue some murder charges and punishments?

Right you are – that language does seem to call for at least a report (not an investigation, but I’ll agree an intrusive requirement nonetheless) after a miscarriage.

But that’s ALREADY GEORGIA LAW.

I can’t find a public link, but there must be one.

That law lays out the circumstances in which Georgia officials are required to investigate a death:

So there’s nothing in the proposed bill that would heighten the existing reporting requirement.

If you believe that the present law, on the books for five years, is itself an intrusive requirement, I don’t necessarilt disagree with you.

But I would note that it will be hard to claim that the current reporting law will require intrusive reprting of miscarriages, since it doesn’t appear to be doing that.

That law lays out what deaths must be investigated.

It excludes miscarriages.

“After birth but before seven years of age if the death is unexpected or unexplained”

NO FUCKING SHIT.

But under the proposed law, it would be the investigation of a murder. Surely, this might be deemed an intrusive requirement, no doubt.

What you continue to fail to demonstrate is that the legal process associated with causing a fetal death under present Georgia law is the same as the legal process associated with a murder.

If it is, then you are correct about this law, in that it represents no meaningful change.

If it is not, then you are wrong, and I point to this as an example of you selecting a position based on a pre-existing political orientation, making incorrect statements as a result, and having to be pursued through a knot hole in order to acknowledge your error, if you ever do.

It seems to me that you are not going to.

Are you now asserting that “investigation” is the same as “charge and punishment”?