Smart cars may come to the U.S.

I saw that. Even then, I think it provded that a Smart could hold up its own in an accident at lower speeds.

Smart Cars are not hybrid or electric. They are very small displacement (~800cc), turbocharged diesels.

Honda also offers hybrid versions of the Civic and Accord V6 (the latter actually makes 15 hp more than the non-hybrid version).

And the hybrid Ford Escape and Chevy Silverado/GMC Sierra.

I would love one of these as a second car. As it is now, I commute using our Honda Element and drop my wife off at the Metro. Should our work situation change, the Smart would be great for city commuting.

Johnny L.A., no I don’t commute with the kids, but I might drop them off on the way, or pick them up afterward. Or I might drive to lunch with co-workers. A two-seater might work as a third car, but the second car has to hold everyone too. It’s just practical.

Damn it.

Okay, there is some hating going on in the comments regarding this over at autoblog.com (decent site check it out).

Now this person had price comparisons wrong, I recall seeing the SMART was coming in between $11,850 and $14,000. But the crash test data is interesting.

Also bear in mind it was a 70MPH-0MPH deceleration that took place in one second, I’d hazard a guess that that rapid deceleration would be nigh-unsurvivable in any small car

the “Steel Walnut” did hold up admirably given the excessive forces encountered, looks like the SMART would hold up better in a lower speed collision/accident, I think it’d hold up better than my much larger '02 Neon…

Here’s how my car stacks up in a collision

I tried to find similar hard data on the Smart ForTwo, but wasn’t able to find any hard numbers, any European Dopers have hard data on the Smart crash test?

I heard this story on the radio this morning. My first thought was that this car (or a competitor) would be really suitable for towing behind a large motor home. Or maybe even inside, in a small garage compartment or something.

However, > $3.00 gas and diesel may shrink the market for anything related to large motor homes.

Huh. I’m a dull, middle-class legal secretary with just an AA, and I drive a hybrid. The bay area is aswim with hybrids, mostly driven by just plain folk.

I have seen an ad for a German RV that had exactly this. :slight_smile:

Hey, I’d rather have a car that screams “DORK!” than one that screams “ASSHOLE!” like the faceplate of the new style of pickups in the past 10 years. Preferably, of course, I don’t take looks into consideration when I buy my vehicle, like most people.

Same here. I bought a new Pathfinder 2 months ago. I buy what I need. The people that buy cars for looks are mostly those that buy sports cars. I don’t really care. To each his own.

As a motorcyclist, I’m well aware I’ll lose just about any collision with anything. The trick is to drive smarter and hope fate hasn’t recently drawn your number. Smart cars may not be for everybody, but you can be smaller than a Hummer and still feel ok.

I seem to remember that was the Mercedes A-class, not the Smart?

We have them here. My Dad and I went to check them out. I love them and would buy one in a heartbeat if I had the cash. The salesgirl had a convertible and she drove around with her three year old, she just puched the seat all the way back.

They are surprisingly roomy, nothing is wasted space.

Before I posted that comment, I googled to see if I could find a could article which described the actual incident, what I came up with were reviews of the Smart which dated from well afterwards, and all made reference to the Smart failing the “Moose test” back when, but not giving any details of the matter. IIRC, the A-Class and the Smart are nearly (note the use of the heavily emphasized qualifier) the same thing, much in the same way a Camaro and a Trans Am are.

From http://www.off-road.com/mbenz/faq.html

From http://www.safetyresearch.net/Library/SRS028.htm

(emphasis mine)

From here: http://driving.canada.com/research/viewroadtest.spy?artid=57530

So, if it’s misperception, it’s not uncommon.

You should trust your Impreza more - it was just rated the safest small car on the road. And it’s no lightweight - around 3000 lbs, which is right up there with most mid-size cars. So it’s got the mass, and it’s also extremely well designed from a crash safety standpoint.

I rented one in Scotland a couple years ago. It was ok. Had very little pickup, but could get up to cruising speed eventually. It was tiny, and I would feel very vulnerable on a highway with cars whizzing by at 75.
Parking them is a breeze. I remember seeing them in Rome where the driver just parked nose end first into a space, because they’re so small they still wouldn’t stick out into the road.

For $14,000…I dunno. I’d really check over some other ones first.