Smarter than a 5th Grader: How do they make sure the contestants aren't very good?

Some of the people that get on there are stupid. Just, dumb.

I did ok on my ACT’s, about top 1/3 of my class in highschool, and I have descent GPA now in college. But I kick the hell out of this game almost every time I watch it. I almost never run into problems. The fact that these people can’t answer some of the simplest questions in game show history is mind boggling.

But, sometimes the questions can be a real pain. I remember seeing a “member” of Mensa play the game and quit at the 500,000 dollar question. I say “member” because I’ve been lied to by T.V. before…

His question was,“What country shares the largest land border with Russia?” The answer was Kazakhstan; I had no clue.

So, you never know. Most days, I would expect the average adult like me to get these without a problem. But every once in a while, you get thrown a Kazakhstan.

Just saw your question after I made my post above. Guess that struck us both as an oddly hard question.

Which explains why I said 50. :smack:

I’ll be over here in the corner, if anybody needs me…

Blast. :smack:

Yeah, there was one lady who bombed out on the very first question, winning nothing. Suddenly, the host of the karaoke show next door came over, grabbed her, and out of pity brought her to his show, where she lost on the first song. Bad day for her.