Smelly French or Americans?

Crap!! Is no thread around here safe from political pot shots?? There are pleanty of threads in GD to say crap like this. Do you have to say it here? Can’t we just talk about foreign hygeine without adding hijacks about foreign policy? Geeez people!

My sincere apologies, Bear and other thread readers. A political dig was not called for.

You’re right about the cost to heat the water being high in Europe, but even the cost of the water itself is pretty high. Here in the Netherlands (which has plenty of water), I pay 25 Euros a year just to get water, then I pay 1.20 Euros for every cubic meter (that’s a thousand liters, so that’s about 260 gallons), and then I pay again to be able to send my dirty water into the sewer. In the last year, I payed more than 500 Euros (for a family of four) just to use water. It was even more expensive when I lived in Germany. Can anyone tell me what the costs in the U.S. are?

Here in Southern California, the water and sewage usage come in a single bill. For a family of 3 in an apartment, the bill is about $300 per year. Add one more person, plus the water usage for those who live in a house with sprinklers in their garden and lawns (and some with swimming pools or jacuzzi), you are talking about the same amount you pay in Holland.

As for comparison of smells and what our noses sense, how about comparing what our eyes sense when looking at the the size of the French people compared to the people, say, in Chicago?

Yeah, but I don’t have any sprinklers and no lawn (and certainly no pool or jacuzzi). I can go months without having to water any outdoor plants (it rains enough here). we don’t have a bathtub (shower stall only), and we do the dishes by hand. Most of the water is probably used in the washing machine. It would be better to compare the price per cubic meter or per gallon to really see the difference, because the 500 Euros I mentioned is probably for a lot less water than you might use in SoCal.

My father has lived in Nice for about 7 years now, (moved from New Jersey :stuck_out_tongue: ), and I’ve never noticed any foul smelling people. Most of them spend the day at the beach, so that’s probably why I never smelled anything.

Don’t Japanese people tend to think that North Americans smell odd?

Some French people stink, it’s true, but in my experience as a pregnant (read: highly sensitive to odors) American, I think it’s mostly immigrants and older people.

I think it has to do with old apartments and costs of bathing. A lot of apartments have only bathtubs, making it kind of annoying to bathe every day. Our gas/electricity costs are very, very, very expensive. A three month bill in our former studio apartment was 175 euros (this was for spring - heat not included).

Shampoo, soap and general toiletries are expensive, too. A bottle of crappy shower gel costs about 3 euros and the shampoo I bought today cost 8 euros. Towels usually start at around 30 euros (at least in Paris). Deoderant is about 5 euros and it’s cheaper for me to have saline solution shipped from the US than to buy it here.

I have to admit that I stink more than my showered twice a day French husband. He even irons his clothes every day.

I had no idea there were so many Parisian Dopers. Who’s up for a Stinky Dope Fest?

I challenge the OP to prove that Americans always stereotype the French as smelly and unwashed. I’ve been to France and have never made such a claim and have never considered odor as something connected with the French. I have heard it said that the French are rude to Americans. Again, the word always could not be used, because we found the French to be very friendly, except in instances when they use the term “complete”, at which time you know you’ve arrived too damn late. As far as I know France only has one colossal ______. I’m sure the French might say the same thing in regards to Americans. Why don’t we discuss the good things about our various countries instead of getting into pissing matches all the time? IMHO America is a great place to live, but we have talked about going to France to live for awhile (my wife’s choice). Personally, I would like other places like Italy, Spain or the Netherlands. We love everything about England, except the weather. It was hard to get used to the long days in Norway and Sweden, but long nights have to be worse (but hey that is a personal preference). My son studied in a country, that has not been mentioned. He said that the body odor there could be a real challenge. However, the people were extremely friendly and I’m not going to even give clues as to what country it was.

When he was asked about it, Columnist Art Buchwald, who lived in France for years, said that the French were indeed rude to Americans, almost as rude as they were to the French.

A couple of friends and my wife and I stopped in a town near the Lascaux Caves to ask directions. I got out of the car in front of a shop of some kind and in my fractured, high-school French asked a woman passing where was the Syndicat d’Initiatif (Chamber of Commerce). She stuck her nose clear up over the lampposts and walked on. But from inside the shop the proprietor came out and asked, in English, if he could be of help. I explained that we wanted to get to the Caves and he gave me directions and even drew me a little map.

Habitual rudeness is usually an individual thing.

This would jive with what my friends who have traveled extensively across Europe say.

And one, a woman with… ahem… rather gregarious habits of intimacy, also said that the stinkiest men were not in France, but in Spain.

Not that that stopped her from enjoying her travels in Spain. :smiley:

This is your second warning-do not confuse IMHO with The BBQ Pit again. If you wish to throw cheap anti-American insults around, do it elsewhere.

I don’t think there’s any special smell stereotype for N. Americans in particular, but more of a general ‘Westerners’ one, as opposed to that of Koreans, Chinese or Indians. Whether they actually do or not is another matter.

And I’ve been told on numerous occasions by Japanese people that Japanese don’t have B.O. Don’t you believe it! Unfortunately, enough people here do seem to believe it enough that they go around in mid-summer without any kind of deodorant, leaving a visible stink cloud behind them.

I think you need to out shopping with me !

8 euros for shampoo? Maybe but you can also get shampoo for 2€ if you wanted :slight_smile:

Are the French not Westerners? Good, I thought they were.

There are manky buggers amongst us all. And even more stereotypes. A recent thread on “have you had a cavity?” had many British people saying “Never” and many Americans complaining about their teeth (oh dear that doesn’t sound right according to stereotypes does it?)

I personally have never shagged a sheep! Shame on me! My national stereotype says I should have by now.

I have even met aussies that wern’t uncouth basatrds :wink:

I have a shower everyday as my society dictates. Many societies don’t dictate daily showers.

Is the aroma of montain breeze or 2-day-old bod is worse? Shall we let the people smelling them decide? Well those not just visiting to smell anyway :smiley:

So, I was talking to a pelican the other day about raw fish and Sushi. Those pelicans are so unaware about their mouth’s B.O.

Ponster wrote:

You’re right. I’ve been spoiling myself with that Klorane stuff. But hell yeah, let’s go shopping!!

One of the four ? guilty as charged
Daily shower ? Yup
French ? Nope

Know where to buy ‘cheap’ shower gel / shampoo etc. ? Yup … in fact it’s usually me who buys Ponster’s :wink:

I’m in - as long as it is in the morning when people are still “fresh”! Just kidding, aw, I crack myself up. What about a “la rentree” doper fest? Just how many Parisian dopers are there anyway?

Cheers, Powers

When I was in Europe ('96) for a summer semester, I ran out of my deodorant mid-way through. I was not able to find any in Italy, and it wasn’t for lack of trying. I even looked in major cities, such as Rome and Florence.

The best I could find was parfume ‘deodorant’ spray. It didn’t do a thing for smell at all. It was basically a light perfume.

The funny thing was, I recall that they were popular in America during the 80’s (a thin aerosol can with a butterfly logo. I think the name started with an A). We used to use them as perfume. Nobody I knew took the ‘deodorant spray’ part seriously at all.

I went to Germany and the Netherlands and didn’t fare any better, however, I wasn’t at either long enough to really look.