Snow White and the Huntsman (spoilered though I haven't seen it)

Apparently they are planning a trilogy.

The Sanctuary scene was gratuitous. Pretty shots though.

I really hated this movie. At least 30 minutes too long, and had absolutely zero emotional heft or suspense. I never felt like any of these places were real; they all looked like movie sets. And so many scenes went nowhere and were then dropped. Ooh, she’s in the Dark Wood. Now she’s out. Village of the Scarred. Oh, now it’s gone. Giant stag forest with two Andy Serkis knock-offs. Now it’s gone.

The only thing remotely menacing or interesting in the whole picture was a haircut. Sure, it was one hell of a haircut, but this movie was plain awful.

Ravenna took over the castle/kingdom within hours of killing the King. That was her plan - kill the guy at the top to disorganize resistance, and let her own army in. So no one was suspicious, because it was obvious she was evil once the night was over.

She’s only 36.

I saw it yesterday with a 13-year-old niece. I was somewhat surprised that they didn’t resolve the love triangle in the end, but perhaps the idea was to set up the sequel. What if Snow White announces at the beginning of the next film that her One True Love is the Huntsman (it was his kiss, after all, not William’s, that woke her from the spell)? William, who is still madly in love with her, is pissed and decides to embrace the Dark Arts in revenge. So he becomes the principal villain of the new film.

I just saw this.

I wouldn’t blame Kristen Stewart for the movie (not that she did much to save it); the plot was kneecapped from the start.

Narrator: “She was destined to be so beautiful, gentle, and kind that all would follow her and she would bring healing to the people and the land.” Or something to that effect. So what’s the very first scene? She stabs a man, rides a horse to its death (which doesn’t seem to bother her), and actively distrusts the first person who tries to help her.

Now I’ll grant that with modern day sensibilities, you can’t have Snow White be a helpless damsel in distress, but that’s no excuse for the screenwriting that we saw. Batman will endanger himself to save his enemies as will Rurouni Kenshin. Firemen run into burning buildings to save kittens. Going the noble course isn’t easy under real world conditions, nor does it lose you bravery-points. They could have easily made her a far more sympathetic and rounded character, just be listening to their own narration. Have her go back and try and save the horse, have her tell her two henchman lovers to save the frickin town that’s on fire, and to care a little about the attack on the big spirit of life that they stole from Princess Mononoke.

Overall, the movie was just a big, multi-million dollar prime example of the story-writer’s lesson to “Show me, don’t tell me.”

It was… okay. The wannabe-script-doctor in me kept rewriting the movie as I was watching it.

Tell me about it. My inner editor was having hives. I’m seriously considering playing with it and chopping it up and seeing if anything salvageable can be dragged from the bits and pieces. Especially if there are deleted scenes or outtakes - I bet I could get something at least better than the original.

It was fun. It’s not going to win any awards, but it was fun.
I don’t see anything wrong with Stewart’s acting, appearance or teeth.