So... ANYBODY Still Think Karl Rove Is a Genius?

Zombies? Karl Rove?

Bush’s BRAAAAAINNNSSSS !!!

“In today’s news, political strategist Karl Rove was found dead of starvation…”

I’ve seen this argued before, maybe by Krugman. Rove’s campaign efforts in 2012 made him a lot of money, and in a losing year, he at least was able to line his own pockets with fees charged to candidates (who were probably unfit for office), and call that a personal success. Thin defense, though.

Henry Ford was a genius for his time, and then his time passed and he was just a cranky old man.

Well, “Compassionate Conservatism” and “a Permanent Republican Majority” have pretty well been resigned to the dust-bin of history, to the extent that its hard to even use either term without sounding sarcastic. So what he thought would be his legacy in domestic policy has been a spectacular failure. And it hasn’t helped that legacy that he came off 2012 looking like a huckster.

But to defend him a little: I think he realized a lot earlier then most Republicans that the Southern Strategy and the associated tactic of trying to compensate for losses amongst minorities and the young by driving up an ever higher proportion of older whites to the polls was going to have a limited half-life. And he saw GOP needed to look elsewhere for new voters if they were going to continue control the Gov’t.

Twelve years on that prediction looks pretty good.

An easy swipe, but I kinda had this in mind:

Oh, I was pretty sure what you actually meant; I just have trouble resisting a straight line like that. :smiley:

He had been nothing but wrong until the last few months, imho. This whole tea party vs. Rove thing makes it clear that he’s a lot more reasonable/strategic (pick one) than a lot of his fellow Republicans, election day meltdown notwithstanding.

A lot of people donated money to Rove’s PAC in this election cycle. Presumably they thought rather highly of his skills or they wouldn’t have given him a dime.

The lesson is, just because someone is rich doesn’t mean they aren’t gullible. And the other lesson is that when you put together a political movement largely composed of totally amoral Social Darwinists who think Greed is Good, they tend to spend a lot of time scamming and exploiting each other.