So apparently I'll be the Cinematographer

What’s up with these labs? Surely they know it’s Super or Ultra-16?? It’d certainly be cheaper for them to just do it right the first time. :confused:

I’ve been out of the game for a while, and I’d never even heard about Ultra-16 until my friend told me about it within the last several months.

I never heard of it until this thread! It seems it’s double perf (unlike Super-16’s single perf) so regular 16 lenses line up correctly and you just need to change masks. It sounds nice. I’d love to shoot some.

Yes, the gate is widened on both sides, and cropped vertically so you can use single-perf or double-perf and the lenses stay centered; whereas for super-16 only one side is widened, it uses the full vertical dimension, you have to use single-perf film, and the lens is offset 1 mm.

It tempts me to have my Éclair NPR modified, but with the super-16 cameras I should just sell it.

ARGH! Just typed a post and I had to reboot! :mad:

Anyway, my friend sent me still from the footage I shot. Looks good. He’ll upload the footage later. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to share it. So we’ll use the Aaton LTR-7 with a PL-mount Zeiss, Optex-modified, 12-120mm T2.4 super-16 lens. Based on some shots I got in the forest, and since we’ll be shooting in the swamps, we’ll be using Kodak 250D Vision 3 stock. I’ll pack my ND3 and ND9 filters, plus a #85 in case we need to use tungsten film outside.

I’m wondering if I should keep my LTR-54. It’s a newer camera and has a faster top speed, but the lens I have with it only covers super-16 from 22mm out. I’ll either need to get a super-16 lens for it, use it at 22mm and longer focal lengths, or sell it and put the money toward an XTR Prod. (In which case I’ll sell the LTR-7 too, and use the lens I have with the XTR.)