So, apparently, you can't park a pick-up on residential streets.

You discovered a parking ticket on your pickup truck but the ticket is for a vehicle with IL plate 123 456.

You don’t own a truck with an IL plate 123 456. The owner of the IL plate 123 456 will be charged with a parking violation if they don’t contest it.

*No - it’s registered in Florida, which doesn’t issue commercial or truck plates for pick-up trucks which are used as a passenger car.

Which actually makes me think I may just ignore the ticket. The ticket says it’s a Ford with an Illinois plate number (which also happens to be the same plate number as my IL passenger car - vanity plate). It would be easy for me to prove that my IL plate is registered to a Volvo car, not a Ford pick-up, should they pursue me for the ticket.*

Unfortunately, you’re the owner of IL plate 123 456.

If you can go to court, the ticket will be dismissed because of the errors. If you don’t get it dismissed/dropped and you recieve more tickets, the vehicle with IL plate 123 456 will be booted and may eventually be towed.

You’ll be able to recover your vehicle after you pay the towing fees and storage fees and parking fines (and deposit your first born at your City Alderman’s office or City Hall - just joking about that part).

You can also contest parking tickets by mail. I’ve done it and won twice, but both times I was actually not guilty of the violations I was ticketed for. (One was no registration sticker, but I had a valid Evanston sticker and my car was registered there. Also, the photo of the “ticketed” car on the City website was an entirely different car. I sent a printout of the photo with the wrong car, a copy of my registration, my drivers license showing an Evanston address, and the receipt for my Evanston city sticker, and the ticket was cancelled.) The other time was for an expired meter, but I had a temp handicapped hangtag displayed at the time (I’d just had leg surgery). I sent a copy of the hangtag and that ticket was dismissed too.

Well, I successfully got the offending vehicle out of town with no more than the one ticket, so all would appear to be well, at least for the moment. We’ll see if the city sends any follow-on notices.