So how come they call the wind Maria?

Is this yours? Because it made me laugh out loud. :smiley:

Is this yours? Because it made me laugh out loud. :smiley:

Obsessing about this all morning. I think the bigger question is:

Who are “They”?

Satisfying, this site says that actually Mariah Carey was named for the movie, not vice versa.

Also, I believe I read somewhere that Eastwood and Seberg had a pretty torrid affair during filming but that he broke it off abruptly and went back to his wife after the shooting was completed. Not unusual, that.

Let’s see, between L&L, R&H, and SS, Maria is likened to the wind, a cloud, a prayer, an ocean wave, a moonbeam, a willo’ the wisp, and the most beautiful sound ever heard (uh, plus a clown–Eek).

That’s a lot of pressure for one name. Can’t Ethel take up some of the slack?

As for PYW, my favorite part remains:

Gonna paint our wagon,
Gonna paint it good,
We ain’t braggin’,
We’re gonna coat that wood! :slight_smile:

It used to be a type of gasoline.

Whether the movie was like the stage performance or not, I loved it.

It was one of the first movies I saw after the ratings system began. What is PG now was M then, and this movie was M. I didn’t tell my folks about that rating.

I think my favorite scene, out of many, is the part when Eastwood, Marvin, and Seberg decide to become a threesome.

“I was married to a man with two wives. Why can’t a woman have two husbands?”

Originally posted by ArchiveGuy
Can’t Ethel take up some of the slack?

Yeah, but Ethel has a tendency to catch Joe.

I was thinking of lyrics from the title song:
Where we goin?
I ain’t certain.
When will we get there?
I don’t know.
All I know is I am on my way.

It shows that even back in our great pioneering past, men just wouldn’t stop and ask directions.

From Duck Soup:
“If you run outta gas, get Ethel! If Ethel runs out, get Mabel!”

I’m glad he had a good career. He definitely had a good voice.

This is why I love this board. I asked a question not even sure if there was an answer, and know I know.

I don’t want to Tess on anyone’s parade – there were indeed a lot of good lines. And I just found out on the Internet Movie Database that Paddy Chayefsky wrote the adaptation! The IMDB says “This film about the California Gold Rush was actually shot in the Cascade Mountains of Oregon.” That was beautiful scenery.

But … everyone knows it’s Windy …

Yep. IMDB says “Jean Seberg had her singing voice dubbed by Rita Gordon while Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin did their own singing.” I wonder if it was because her voice was bad, or just that she was less of a name star. I didn’t follow her career very closely.
It also says" Although it was a musical, no choreographer was ever hired."
Yeah, and it shows.

Joe’s starting for Tess and hoping she’ll put out.
(I don’t know why this popped into my head.)

I didn’t know that about Mariah Carey.
I also read (or maybe the TV host said) that Marvin was drinking up a storm and director Joshua Logan was succumbing to depression. No wonder a lot of scenes turned into such messes.

But it was Mary,
Mary
Long before the fashion came.
There’s something there
So sweet, so fair
It’s a grand old name.
(I swear I’m going to get a Straight Dope singalong going.)

On an episode of Mystery Science Theater 3000, Tom Servo sang “I was born under a wanderin’ star” – just that one line from the song. Servo was voiced by Kevin Murphy, who also had a fine, rich singing voice. Perhaps for that reason, the line stuck in my head, though I didn’t know where the song was from.
Imagine my surprise when Marvin started croaking it. I mean, he just sort of half growled, half mumbled. Never really raised his voice. Sort of the way you sort of sing a snatch of song when your mind is on something else. What a waste of a good song!

Don’t get me wrong, I think Marvin was very good in the comedy sections. But he just couldn’t sing.

Has anyone noticed that Maria doesn’t really rhyme with fire, unless like Lerner & Loewe you pronounce it fi-yah. Which is not how they talk in the Pacific Northwest.

Well, looks like you solved that problem.

I never saw the movie or the play but I do remember the song “I Still See Elisa.” Pretty and sad.

You got that right. I saw it at the theatre when it first came out and several times later, all when I was young. I’d just happened to buy the DVD the other day and watch it the day before the TV broadcast you saw. Frankly I was shocked at just what a clusteryuk much of the movie was, especially most of the pre-intermission scenes.

It wasn’t a total washout but it had some much more potential than what was realized.