So... How does it feel, living in a Stephen King novel?

Gym closed today for at least two weeks.
Mayor announced all restaurants and other venues closed at 8pm tonight for two weeks.
Grocery stores starting to look pretty bare…

Does this sound like The Stand to you?

… or the movie Contagion. Fiction is the only thing that’s a reference point for us.

Occasionally, I take a break to listen to the pronoucements of the Orange One and his minions, and spend a while living in a Robert Sheckley novel instead.

The issue I have is that in The Stand, the Captain Trips virus actually killed 99% of people and everyone who got it; the survivors simply had an immunity to it. I understand the extreme measure for that.

For this we are wrecking the economy and people’s lives for a disease that the vast majority of people survive without the need for any medical attention at all.

The issue I have is that in The Stand, the Captain Trips virus actually killed 99% of people and everyone who got it; the survivors simply had an immunity to it. I understand the extreme measure for that.

For this we are wrecking the economy and people’s lives for a disease that the vast majority of people survive without the need for any medical attention at all.

Oh, thought this was going to be about being run down by driverless cars.

I can think of one guy who doesn’t think we’re living in a Stephen King novel;

I got sent a meme yesterday (like approximately 1564 other memes about the crisis) which read:

I expected zombies and pump guns for the apocalypse, not washing hands and staying at home.

does this mean we are whining too much?

Not with a bang…

Does NO ONE else read Robin Cook?

There is a surreal feel to this whole thing. Doesn’t feel like the other pandemics I’ve been through.

It would actually probably be pretty cool if 99% of the world population died, no more waiting in lines!!!

Unfortunately you’d have to have the perfect balance of survivors, enough doctors, engineers, and such that could run shit, in reality it would probably suck hard, just think what happens if your tooth needs a filling.

No, only that this real life crisis is much more boring than in disaster movies.

ou know there’s a cyberpunk type book that was written around by 1986 or so Richard kadrey called metrophage (here’s a link https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/66586.Metrophage) where in 100 years in the future the government found a plague ship of aliens and by trying to figure out the plague they let it loose on earth where it’s just another disease on a messed up world

and near the end of the book, LA is in an anarchist street gang riot due to all the quarantines and repression so the main character goes to downtown la where he reads a sign that says “no person is admitted to be within 10 square feet of another person by emergency decree from the city of La committee of public health”

I’m finding that book has been more prophetic about this and other things since I read it 25-30 years ago especially …

Reminds me of some “Disaster-of-the-month” book I read in the 70’s or 80’s - about The Plague (and, maybe that was the title of the book). I remember one passage, where a character remarks that some street gang thought that the spread of the Plague could be “really cool,” which he noted “showed how in touch with reality they were…"

I’ve been living in a Philip K. Dick novel since 2017, so Steven King is an upgrade.

One of the overlooked gems of the 'Eighties.

“A lot of people have directed Steven King novels and stories, and I finally decided if you want something done right, you ought to do it yourself.” Truer words were never more mispoken.

Stranger

Vegas hasn’t been nuked yet so we have a ways to go. At least this is better than Cujo.

Maybe we need a new Cafe thread. What was the first book, movie, or drama you consumed where something plague-like obliterates humanity? ON THE BEACH was radiation, not disease, so it probably doesn’t count. I’ll go with the original MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH. Party hearty, kids!

I saw an article today that said something about how cancelling the Olympics is as difficult as just going ahead with them. Well, in Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six the Olympics is the exact vector the bad guys want to use to spread a contagious disease to the entire goddamn world.

We’re living through all the boring parts disaster fiction skips over. I’m hoping we don’t get to the exciting bits, and this series gets cancelled before they have to film expensive scenes of cities burning and massive riots.