So, i got bitten by a dog. How was your evening? (with pictures)

Sometimes. But if you actually bothered to read the rest of cowgirl’s post, you’d know that her dog probably isn’t going to be the one that chomps down on a kid.

A Scotty has teeth the size of a Rott. They can rip your throat out. Smaller dogs are not safer and can do just as much damage as a large dog…it will just take them more time.

My daughter’s Rat Terrier is just as dangerous to a small child as my Golden Retrievers. I could punt the Rat across the room, but if he had a good grip there’d be some serious damage to me.

Guess what homeslice? I did read her entire post and it all reads like the type of stuff pitbull owners say before their dog eats a kids face.

I’m not saying her dog HAS done something.

I’m not saying her dog is GOING to do something.

It was mearly an observation.

Way to unnecessarily come to the defense of a person whom you don’t know in RL over a dog that you don’t know in RL. Such is the life though on the SDMB…

Well, my original plan was to do just that, and then go to my university’s health center today to get it looked at. But once my wife saw the wound, she insisted that we go to the ER.

And the physician’s assistant who treated me told me that it was a good idea. She irrigated the wound with an iodine solution, and did it in such a way that the liquid got right down into the gash. It really stung quite a lot. She said that any treatment applied at home might not have gone deep enough, leaving greater risk for later infection. Even with the treatment i got, she said there’s still a minor chance of infection, and that i should take the antibiotics and keep and eye on it for discharge, swelling, etc.

Also, i knew i was going to have to go and get a tetanus shot, so i figured i could get it all out of the way in one go. If the bite had happened during business hours, i would have gone to my university’s Student Health Center, where they could have taken care of it. But they’re only open during the day. I’m not a big fan of unnecessary use of the ER, but if it hadn’t been serious enough to require treatment last night, i’m sure the triage nurse would have told me. Instead, she put me on the fast track for treatment.

I’m pretty sure it’s a tooth scratch. Once the tooth came out of my thigh, the dog probably fell straight down, dragging the tooth along the skin on the way.

I think you’d be smart to forward, through animal control if necessary, those photos, to the dog owners.

We all try to minimalize such things when we’re on the wrong end of things, it’s a very human trait. And it’s somewhat natural to think Animal Control is being a tad alarmist.

A little photo reality would go a long way to educating these people.

Some bruising indeed! Maybe send them along with all the medical reports and, y’know, the bill!

Good luck to you, hope you feel better real soon!

I also think it was an unnecessary observation on your part, given the content of cowgirl’s post, the gist of which was that she is more aware than most people of the damage her dog can do, and does her utmost to reduce the chance that he will hurt someone. Comparing her to a drug-dealing pit bull owner is very unfair.

I don’t understand the woman in the OP’s response, either - I don’t own a dog, I don’t know much about dogs, and I don’t know about not startling dogs that are being walked. I assumed that it is the DOG OWNER’S responsibility to know about dogs and control their dogs, not my responsibility to know what their dogs are likely to do and go out of MY way to not get bit.

If that’s what you got out of her post, you have a vastly different style of reading than I do.

I think you were justified in your anger; I just feel bad for the old couple on the receiving end of it, that’s all.

Good grief! That looks pretty deep. It’s a good thing you did go to the ER.

As a dog owner/lover, I gotta say that woman was an asshole. I don’t blame you (as a runner myself and dog bitee also) for your outburst.

“Bruise” indeed.

I love dogs, prefer larger breeds, and assume I will always have at least 1. I also run. I have no problem with the concept that dog owners ought to be strictly liable for any injuries their pets cause. In short, if your dog bites someone, you did not have them adequately controlled. Whether that means not taking it on a walk, using a choke collar, a muzzle, being especially vigilant of passersby, walking in secluded areas, not having a dog so large you cannot control it - whatever.

Another person ought not be injured in any way due to your decision to own a dog.

I fully understand with the OP’s use of profanity. But I’ll note that in most situations, profanity provides the opportunity for the other person to try to refocus attention from their wrongdoing, to your choice of language.

Yeah. It’s also what owners of every other breed say before their Doberman, Spaniel, Beagle, Pomeranian, or Toy Poodle bites. Selective memory enables you to attach it to pit bulls.

Sailboat

Is any observation ever necessary? Drug dealing pitbull owner?? I’ll have to go reread what I typed because I don’t remember saying that…

The fact that people with other breeds say it to doesn’t have anything to do with the fact that whenever a pitbull snaps and kills/mauls someone their owners first response is what cowgirl said. Almost every time.

Has nothing to do with selective memory. I guess I haven’t read as many news stories on Pomeranians and Beagles mauling/killing people though as I have pitbulls. :rolleyes:

I want to say again that I’m not saying anything about cowgirls dog specifically so everyone just take a pill here.

Dude, I’m sure Winston Smith would be appalled by this statement.

You don’t get “elected King”. You take power from the existing, corrupt regime, for the Greater Good. :rolleyes:

Well… she DID say she always had her dog leashed and muzzled, as required by law… you didn’t exactly acknowledge that either.

You also didn’t acknowledge the part where she said ANY dog could bite a person. And I assume she’s saying that about her dog, too.

So, why did you say that it sounds like what people say *before *the pit bull blah blah blah? If they are *responding *to these alleged assaults, how is it that they make the statements *before *the assaults occur? Do you have a clue at all what you are talking about? Or do you only know what you read in the papers? Can you provide any evidence at all that these owners say any particular thing “almost every time?” Or are you just blowing smoke out of your ass?

Well, I must admit to having sore arms/shoulders here and there for a while, but with time she’s realized that if I give her a quick, hard tug and call out “stay!” she’s pretty much in control.

Still and all, I’d be interested in this “hip-check the leash” technique you allude to. Never heard of it, although this is my third (and biggest) dog – albeit I’ve always trained them myself, what with what I’ve read, a vet I’ve been friends with for decades, patience and a large dose of common sense as well as mutual respect (though there’s never been any doubt as to whom the pack leader is; that’s one of the first things I establish).

Appreciate your response in advance.

Boo fucking hoo. Their dog just BIT someone. They are lucky all he did was shout at them. Would you feel as bad if they were a young, fit couple? Jesus, check your inappropriate sympathy.

Good thing you didn’t accept the elder persons’ offer to go to their home – they may have finished you off and fed you to their dogs. Thems old folks didn’t live that long without learning a trick or two along the way.

Hope you heal up well, and that they take better care when walking their dogs.

PunditLisa: You might not need an ER visit, but a visit to the doctor’s office or a walk-in clinic is highly recommended if the bite drew blood. Stitches are actually NOT RECOMMENDED in most cases because of the HIGH RISK OF INFECTION. Let me repeat: HIGH RISK OF INFECTION.

I was bitten by a dog last March. It was a bite on my left hand. I would not have required stitches. There was significant swelling (and bone bruising) but no fracture. I could have cleaned the wound and dressed it myself. The only reason I went in was for antibiotics… that and I’m a pianist, and so I wasn’t going to take any risks (the hand surgeon was called right away for a consult). Even so, antibiotics are a GOOD IDEA the minute a dog bite has drawn blood, no matter how small the bite. Blood infections spread fast and can be VERY dangerous.

That might not require an ER visit, but a doctor’s visit is a must.