So I just recently heard that gift cards are crappy gifts, is this true?

I’ve spent years making it clear to people that I neither accept nor give gifts.
If after all this time, they are too stupid to remember, or just think I’m kidding, I won’t hesitate to demonstrate to them.

I guess I’d give you a knuckle sandwich.

The hell? Just because you don’t appreciate or even want a certain gift doesn’t give you a pass to be completely rude.

If anyone in my life ever did that with anything I gave them, not only would I get the message not to ever give them any type of gift again, but I would never speak to them again.

I’m not a big fan of gift cards, it’s just one more thing I have to keep track of and use before it expires, etc., but I would never let the giver know that. As an adult, I understand that the proper response is “thank you, how thoughtful,” or words to that effect.

To be honest, I’m not a big fan of getting gifts at all. It’s just more stuff that I have to find a place to store. I only like getting and giving gifts when it is personal and special, but I’d rather avoid any gift exchanges because it is expected of us type scenarios.

I love gift cards specifically because they give me a guilt-free way to spend money at my favorite stores. If I received cash I’d be tempted to put it into savings or spend it on something boring like groceries.

I agree that they are better for people who have tighter budgets than people who have lots of extra spending money.

I like gift cards, mostly. I mean, when I graduated from high school, I got a $5 gift card from a local grocery store, so that wasn’t good (and it was clear they’d picked it up on the way over, too. A grocery store card might not be bad for a college-bound student, except I was still going to be commuting, and $5???) Anyway other than that I love them. Like olives says, it’s a guilt-free way of spending money.

:eek: Holy guacamole. I … I don’t even know what to say to this.

<Miss Manners-style fallback> Takes all kinds to make a world. </Miss Manners-style fallback>

• shakes head sadly *