So I tried to make london broil for dinner (cooking help needed)

Sorry, I meant to add, that they are still better than what I have to cook with.

You know those handy gas-fired table top two-rings-and-a-grill (broiler) that you take camping?

Well, that’s what my university decides is appropriate for a 2 person appartment. Thank goodness for microwaves!

I’ll use a few piccies to explain myself better:

This is a cooker. The bottom part is the oven, the bit in the middle is the grill and the top bit is the hob.

This is another cooker. The bottom bit is for pan storage, the bit with a window is the oven, then the hob and the top bit is the eye level grill.

Here’s a grill.

Here’s a gas powered barbecue - the bit on the right with the burgers on is the grill.

irishgirl: When you’re 6 foot 2 with a bad back, eye level grills are wonderful. And the people in charge of your university are stoopid.

While were on the topic of steaks, I always have the problem of my steaks being very tough when I broil them. How do I fix this, without using a marinade? I like the natural flavor of the meat, and don’t like how marinades make it taste. I like to broil, and hate pan-fried. Should I just do a lower temperature? Put it further from the broiler?

With he exception of Dopers, the American Male won’t cook unless it is physically dangerous. Hence the outdoor gas barbecue, capable of hurling napalm up to fifty feet and incinerating the neighbors. Is this true of our British friends?

These are what we’ve been talking about for broiling - the oven part has a setting called “Broil” that really cranks up the temperature a lot, and lets you brown/sear meat nicely.