So many translations, so little time...

Sorry. Ignore that. It should be spelled “LaVey.”

Read the Cliff’s Notes version.

Absolutely correct. Asimov’s Guide to the Bible??? Good grief, you might as well read The Passover Plot. If you need a brain surgeon, you certainly don’t go to an automobile mechanic for a consultation. Stick with reputable Biblical scholars, and leave Asimov to his rocket ships and little green men. No offense to Isaac Asimov or his devotees, but he is most certainly not the one that I would recomend to write a commentary on the Bible. Science fiction, maybe, but not the Bible.

Another option that I didn’t see mentioned is the NIV Study Bible. The top half of the page is the Bible text, the bottom half is study notes. The study notes expound on the text and offer sociological, historical, and theological context to what you just read.

The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs. – E. Grebenik

moriah? Pickman? Have you read Asimov’s guides? I have found some factual errors in them (mostly having to do with opinions that were more current when he wrote the guides and are less current now), but I haven’t found his stuff to be “like Stalin’s guide to the Constitution.”

I would criticize them more for the fact that they are a bit shallow and pretty sparse on the texts selected for commentary.

The most frustrating thing I have found is that when I want to go look at an outsider’s opinion of a disputed passage, Asimov has rarely provided one. His descriptions of the histories and politics (and pagan beliefs) that surrounded most Biblical books tend to be informative and are largely error-free.

It is not my first choice for a commentary, due mostly to its hit-or-miss selection of passages, but it is not a bad general reference to have nearby.

Tom~

slythe posted:

In that case you don’t want a commentary by a fundamentalist. You want a commentary by a believer who accepts to work from historical-critical methods (the scientific method of reading old texts). Any mainline Christian (RCC, Episc., Lutheran, etc…) scholar will avoid the pitfalls of fundamentalism.

None of the commentaries I posted treat creation as really happening in six days. Or that the Song of Solomon is a Christian text.

Here’s what Boadt has to say about it:

Oh, has Asimov read the extra-biblical ancient Aramaic love poems, too, in order to provide a proper context for the genre?

Anyway, after giving the text a proper scientific historical background, Boadt then goes on to say why it is a book of the Bible for Jews and Christians:

So, Boadt points out that the original text is a collection of love poems, written and reworked over a long time and that it was accepted as scripture because it could be (and was) read allegorically.

Seems like the right balance a commentary should take.

Peace.

moriah:

From your quote:

Ummm…maybe the non-Jewish versions are significantly different, but doesn’t it (at least in the Hebrew bible) start off by saying “The Song of Songs that are to Solomon”?

Unless there are some seriously significant differences there, it makes no sense to go to chapters 3 and 8 to attribute Song of Songs to Solomon. It’s right there at the beginning.

Chaim Mattis Keller

Moriah said:

Well, almost. It was not, of course, deliberately archaic in Elizabethan times. It was, and made itself clear as (see one with a dedication), the best translation of the times. It attempted to give the sort of formal, periodic language that would be most effective in Scripture readings in church, but in language clear to the people of the time. Something like what the New English Bible translators tried to do. The fact that it has survived nearly 400 years while nearly all its competitors of the time are defunct should say something.

CMK: The trditional first verse for that book in English-language Christian Bibles is “The Song of Songs, Which Is Solomon’s”

Granted that is obfuscatory, but it’s the King James scholars’ fault, not ours.

cmkeller said:

Ahhh, Grasshopper. The first thing you learn as a scientific commentator is to be skeptical of everything. Just because the text says it comes from Solomon doesn’t mean that it comes from Solomon. That first line was probably a later addition, trying to give the text more authority by attributing it to Solomon, who appears in the third and eigth chapters. If Solomon did write it, it would be rather weird of him to refer to himself in the third person like that.

As Roland E. Murphy, O.Carm says in The New Jerome Biblical Commentary,

Of course, the unity is artificial. There are several obviously different poems/songs happening here. The scholars can tell you by words and language used, that they come from different time periods – thus, definitely excluding Solomon as their author.

Peace.

Pickman: Asimov wrote much more than Science Fiction.