So tell me about getting personal health insurance

You might be suprised at how much it costs. Most of the policies you pay $120 a person for or so don’t cover any prescriptions, certainly not things like birth control, and involve huge co-pays and deductables. After I paid my $200 a month premium, I still had to pay $4000 a year on deductables before their coverage kicked in. If you want “good” coverage for 2 people, one with asthma, you will probably pay well over $500 a month for it, (I am guessing more like $600-800) well over $4000 a year.

If she is healthy she may be better off getting a solo plan with as low a deductable as she can afford. Will they let her put some of the money into a HSA?(I think that’s what they are called. Where you put your money aside in a special savings account for health expenses.)

Opal, I have heard horror stories of people having the type of weight loss surgery you (and I, of course) had, not being able to get private insurance at any price, so that may not even be relevant for you to price it out. However, I know that most (if not all) major drug companies have programs for people on maintenance drugs, who cannot afford those drugs. I’m not sure who makes Welbutrin, but you may want to contact them, and see if they have such a program. Or check and see if the health dept. where you’re moving to has a program that might benefit you.

Good luck!

Yeah, a couple phone calls seems to suggest that our plan is untenable. Oh well, I thought it was rather clever :wink:

Opal, another thing to think about is purchasing short term insurance. SpouseO and I did just that when we were transitioning from college to my first job (it had a 3 month waiting period, or whatever, before I was eligible for insurance). Going without was not an option for my husband, so we went this route. The insurance that we purchased was pretty basic, since we were both young and didn’t have any prescriptions, and very reasonable (I recall paying $180 for 3 months, I think). We got ours from State Farm, but I believe all of the big carriers would offer it.

There are caveats, as you know. I don’t know what the restrictions were for prescriptions; we didn’t have any. When they say short term, they mean it - it’s good for a maximum of 6 months (hopefully by then you’d be able to purchase insurance through the new school). And I don’t know about pre-existing condition stuff either - we were both young and in good health. But it’s something to check into.

That sucks.

So how have you been doing?? I haven’t heard from you in a while. Do you have some sort of progress update thread/journal/scrimshaw/whatever somewhere?

Actually that’s who I was going to recommend.

Yeah, I have a scrimshaw, but it’s all in symbols understood only by me, so it will do you no good! :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m doing well, actually. A little more than a year out, down about 135lbs. I’m hoping to get some update photos this weekend, and will email you a link when I do get updates.

No talk of a tummy tuck yet, because I’m still actively losing weight (which is fine; I mean, I wouldn’t be disappointed if the weight loss stopped here, but I’d rather drop another 20lbs. or so first); in fact, I lost 5lbs. last week! :eek:

claps excitedly Yay! Isn’t it just the best thing ever?

Opal, I think you (and the juggler, if he doesn’t have coverage) might both (separately) qualify for Ohio’s Best Rx because of income. It’s run by the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services.

If you enroll in the program, you can purchase drugs at a discounted price. It’s free to enroll; all you have to do is qualify. If you’ve had coverage in the past 4 months, you might not qualify yet.

They have a pricing look-up on their website. Here’s the search page for buproprion. I checked the pharmacy locator, and there seem to be several participating pharmacies near you.

Looks like just about everything you need to know is somewhere on their Web site. (They also have some links to other programs.)

Good luck!

GT

Are you calling my boyfriend “the juggler” as a way to distinguish him from me? :confused:
And thanks, I actually already signed up for that just over a week ago and ordered a card and stuff. That will help for prescriptions for sure.

I do sure wish I’d had insurance last week when I had to go to the walk-in clinic in New Hampshire after hacking my thumb :frowning:

(In case that was confusing: my boyfriend has been juggling for about 23 years. I have also been juggling for about 23 years. We met at a juggling convention, in fact.)

Well, I gotta say, the best thing ever is getting dressed, looking in the mirror, and going “holy crap, I look normal!” (I won’t look ‘normal’ without clothes until I’ve done some major plastics).

Perhaps we should start calling him JOMP (Juggler of Male Persuasion) :wink:

Or JWDB (Juggler With Dangly Bits)