So what are YOU doing this summer?

Star Wars! Star Wars! Star Wars! Star Wars! Star Wars!

I’ve seen Revenge of the Sith nine times so far. I’ve been seeing it at least once a week. It is the summer of Star Wars!

It’s been a busy summer so far. The wife and I have already been camping, white water rafting, and on two long motorcycle trips to Toronto/Upper Ontario (over 1900 miles of riding :eek: ). We have trackdays scheduled in June, July & August at Nelson’s Ledges, Mid-Ohio and Beaverrun. We have a racing school scheduled in September w/ École de Pilotage at Shannonville, ON. As AMA Field reps we’ll also be working two weekends in July for the Vintage Motorcycle Days and the AMA Superbike races.

In between all of that motorcycle stuff, lots of grilling in the backyard, tending the house/yard, visiting family and being visited. I also hope to squeeze in a trip to Cedar Point somehow!

Holland, MI trip to see a friend.

Possibly Cedar Point.

Camping with friends.

Freeloading off of anyone who owns a pool.

Oh, and yardwork and drudgery.

Big camping trip with the family (Ok, RV-ing; for you purists)
New Mexico (Rt66), Colorado, WY (Yellowstone), Utah/Arizona (Monument Valley).

Other than that, school, building a deck (wife wants this for anniv), & entertaining the kids.

Summer is going to exhaust me, but i’ll love it nonetheless.

It’s the in-between time when I manage to cut back to “normal” 8-9 hour days until mid-July when the real work for the next school year gets me back to those 12 hour days.

In addition to preparing to move out of one house, into another, conveniently timed to happen just after school starts (“honey, hand me the tequila and valium…”).

In between all that, we’ll manage a couple long weekends, and throw a massive good bye to the house I grew up in party in July.

Oh, and take bus kid back to college in Ohio in August.

But there will be no snow to shovel, and no winter cotas involved, so it will all be good.

Getting married.

Taking the SO to meet my parents in Alaska (from New York) because my parents have expressed the desire to meet him before the wedding.

That is all.

My 25th wedding anniversary is July 4th. Hubby and I have talked about possibly taking a short trip, but even if that doesn’t happen, we always have fireworks on our anniversary. We live right beside a river which is the site of the area’s largest fireworks display, so we can sit in our yard and watch the sky light up.

Standard family trip to Maine in August.

But keep in mind when I say standard I mean:
20+ people
in one house
no TV or phone
beach right down the road

This is the 25th anniversary of when we first stated doing this, so it’s a very cool year. I am going to be doing the full 2 weeks, which I haven’t been able to do in 10 years! (Darn working for a living). In the middle of the two weeks is our family reunion - but as more and more people come to stay in the house, the reunion ends up being 2 extra people actually showing up for the day.

25 years - 4 generations have stayed in the house (although 5 generations have actually stayed in the town). My grandparents met there; their ashes are scattered in the forest on the edge of town. We’ve had a wedding, a funeral, but no births.

Susan

I’d be glad to post pictures when I am done! As for direction, well, the paintings on this page are fairly close to what I’m doing. I typed 14th above in my post, but meant 15th…darn fingers. I may end up with something later in period as I work with the materials and see what style I like best, but I won’t get as ornate as some of the late period Italian stuff. I don’t have that much money to sink into my hobby! On the linked page the images from Francesco del Cossa are the types I am attempting, although I won’t be using any of the commercial patterns shown. I do all my work from scratch. Here’s a good link to a page with one made up: Italian Ren

For the pavilion: It’s going to end up being like a mini center-hub pavilion. It will be perfect for setting up next to the list field!

BTW- Thanks for the great link to the corset article!

I’m flying into Hanoi in Vietnam on the 2nd July. Going with two friends and meeting two more there. Then spending three weeks moving down the country* to get to Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) from which I’m flying home on the 25th July.

3 weeks with no work and lots of Rice Whiskey and beer. Lovely.

• depending on how things go we may make a trip to Cambodia and miss most of Vietnam but that is very much a back up plan as we’ve already done Cambodia already but would like to go back.

Right now, we’re trying to paint our house. If it would stop raining for five minutes, we might be able to finish priming. I hear July and August are going to be dry. :rolleyes:

We’ll be doing our usual things—fishing, boating, drinking beer around the campfire. I hope to make it to “the cabin” at least a couple of times. I don’t usually get vacation during the summer because I’m too busy at work, but I’m hoping we’ll be able to sneak off to Deadwood for a few days in August or September.

I’m resuming classes at school, trying to learn to knit, and finding a part time job.

Where are you going to school, if you don’t mind me asking?