So, What's New in the Field of Historical/Comparative Linguistics ?

This is not a debate for GQ. I won’t start a GD thread — there might be only one participant — but if someone else does I will join.

OTOH, this discussion has become frustrating. Since this will be my last post in this thread, let me speak bluntly.

Please point to any sentence I have written in this thread that has been “demonstrated to be false.” My sentence; not that of someone else whose views you are conflating with mine.

I clicked on your latest link and was immediately dissuaded from further bother for two reasons:

(1) The paper immediately postulates PIE dates incompatible with a typical Gimbutas model. (And then concludes that the Gimbutas model is false? Whippee!!) They even cite the Atkinson-Gray chronology. FWIW, I exchanged e-mail with Quentin Atkinson over a decade ago; explained a fundamental flaw in their algorithm*; and he made a major admission about relative plausibility.

(* - with (A (B C)) appearing in 51% of simulations, and ((A B) C) in 49%, zero would be a good estimate for the distance A-BC, but Gray-Atkinson compute the A-BC distance by averaging only over the (A (B C)) cases.)

I recommended Ringe’s superior dating in a recent thread, and one SDMB linguist thought even they weren’t recent enough.

(2) Again, that paper you cite focuses on genetic evidence. I don’t know where you get the idea that a Gimbutas model requires huge migrations (although it happens there was much gene flow); it wasn’t from me:

The “overwhelming support” was there without considering genetic evidence. DNA is just further corroboration.

Can you explain this? Affinities between Corded Ware and Yamnaya may be weak, but how do you posit Corded Ware’s origin? Spontaneous Generation? :slight_smile: