So, what's the deal with Buffy the vampire slayer?

I didn’t like Buffy at all, at first.
The first season is in my book still the weakest.
I got hooked in the third season.
Try watching about 4 episodes of the second or third season.
If you still don’t like it, it is definitely not your cup of tea.

i asked the same question here:

you can see my change from confused viewer to ardent fan in that link.

I’ve got a theory.

That it’s a demon, a dancing demon, no something isn’t right there…
:smiley:

shame on you, klintpooh, now i can’t get that damn song out of my head.

I’m listening to it. :smiley:

Over the past 6-7 months I have bought/watched every Buffy/Angel season. Im kinda glad I didnt get hooked into it until after it was over. Watching it like this was like reading a good book, very enjoyable! I say give it more time S1 wasnt the greatest, but man it will draw you in big time as it moves!

“So, back to training tonight? If your up to it”
“Im ready, unless your to busy having sex with my mom!!”

I laughed my ass off on that one…

OK, so I’m someone who “never” watches TV (except for Simpsons reruns, of course). Oddly enough, there are exactly two series in the past couple years that have caught me:

24 (1st season)

and

Buffy

1st season of Buffy was pretty much “monster of the week” stuff. But by the 2nd season, the writers were working much more on the characters and their interactions, and the show really took off.

For me, the best thing about the show is its sense of humor. The title pretty much sums it up. This show isn’t afraid to poke fun at itself, as well as poking fun at lots of fantasy/horror cliches. It’s a lot like Woody Allen’s:

Of course, it ruins humor to analyze it, but you could call it “the juxtaposition of the profound and the trivial.” If you don’t like it, then either:

1. You haven’t “gotten” it yet,
  2. you “got it” when you heard the title, and it got old immediately thereafter, or
  3. you “get it”, but just don’t think that kind of humor is very funny.

For me, it never gets old as long as it’s done well. Joss and Woody do it very well.

I just started watching from the beginning, and The Puppet Show was the first episode that I really got drawn into. The previous episodes were ok, but I didn’t see what was so great about it. I now have high hopes.

Bah. Buffy’s just a rip-off of Sailor Moon anyway.

flees

In the name of the moon, we will punish you!

That’s interesting, because The Puppet Show is one of my least favorite episodes - I tend to skip it if I’m looking for something to watch and decide to put some Buffy in the DVD player.

I’m another one who came to the show late, after it ended, actually. The first episode I ever saw was Season 7’s End of Days, because a friend’s cable was out and she’s a fan.

Later on, she started getting the seasons on DVD and convinced me to try them. I was interested by Witch (Season 1, Episode 3).The Pack was another one, followed by Nightmares. The Puppet Show almost lost me, but I was glad I held on to see the rest of Season 1 - that basically got me hooked, and I proceeded to borrow Season 2 from her. Then I started buying them for myself - the only one I had to wait to buy until it was released was Season 7, and that was only about a month after I’d bought Season 6.

I don’t like The Puppet Show that much either. I don’t dislike it, it’s just not my favorite S1 ep (it might be my least favorite, but I like all of S1 in varying degrees, so that’s not saying much).

The only part I really like is Buffy, Xander, and Willow’s play over the closing credits (plus Snyder’s line).

I guess I’m a dumbass, but for the life of me, I can’t figure out what you’re referring to.

Of course, as soon as I hit “Submit Reply,” I’ll probably remember…

In episode 7.5

It’s revealed that Xander lied to Buffy about Angelus. Willow told him to tell Buffy she was trying resoul Angelus. Xander told Buffy that Willow said to go get him; hence, Buffy was completely shocked when he turned into Angel

:o

We have one.

Framed.

In our bedroom.

Along with the framed OMWF poster that is comprised of drawings of the various cast members, plus the framed poster for the Buffy academic conference that took place in Nashville this past May.

And about 5-7 full binders of Buffy cards (from an outfit called Inkworks).

Did I mention the dolls? Did I mention the extra set so my little girl could play with them?

Oh, and the trip to Cleveland. The one where Iyari Limon played hide-and-seek with an almost-two Sophia (above-referenced little girl), the one where Spike signed her Barney doll because Sophia took it upon herself to start dancing when he played one of his bands favorite songs (well, a CD played it, Marsters was just on stage doing the old speech/Q&A thing).

Don’t even ask me about the home-made montage, OK?

My wife is a big fan, in case y’all can’t tell.

I’ve got a theory.

It could be bunnies.

(goes heavy metal)

Bunnies aren’t just cute like everybody supposes
They’ve got those hoppy legs and twitchy little noses
and what’s with all the carrots?
What do they need such good eyesight for anyway?
Bunnies, bunnies, it must be bunnies!!!

Or maybe midgets?

Oh, yeah.

Not to mention the scene where Tara deliberately screws up the demon-location spell, and it’s left as a total mystery why for quite a long time, leaving this hanging suspicion of untrustworthiness over her head

OK, hold up. You like “I Robot, You Jane” more than “The Puppet Show”? :dubious:

When my GF and I first watched “The Puppet Show”, she was so freaked out we almost couldn’t finish it. She’s got a phobia about ventriloquist’s dummies.

True story.