So what's up with the long pinkie nails?

My Chinese students (all about 18-22 yr olds) told me that the long little finger nails (‘pinkies’ to Northern Merkins) are so that the little finger is long enough to reach the last knuckle joint on the ring finger. It is apparently believed that if your little finger is long ie reaches past the last joint on the ring finger, you are rich and intelligent! Still there could have been a translation problem as English is not one of their strong points yet.

Yeah, I’m okay with that, too.

For the Chinese, it’s a status thing. Goes back to the old days when “gentlemen” didn’t work with their hands. Usually, for the literati or government officials, the fingernails would all be grown to be inches long. They would wear jewel encased sheaths to protect the nails.

Now, they just grow out the pinkie as a sign of culture, breeding and wealth. A very large proportion of the Chinese male population do this.

For the Chinese, it’s a status thing. Goes back to the old days when “gentlemen” didn’t work with their hands. Usually, for the literati or government officials, the fingernails would all be grown to be inches long. They would wear jewel encased sheaths to protect the nails.

Now, they just grow out the pinkie as a sign of culture, breeding and wealth. A very large proportion of the Chinese male population do this.

I first noticed this style on my math professor. He was from Nigeria. He smoked cigarettes, but if he did any other drugs, It did not show in his demeanor. He always stuck me as a family man, and not wild at all. He was also well cultured and intelligent. I always wondered why his pinky finger nail was longer. It was obviuosly intentional, as all his fingernails were neatly trimmed and he was meticulous about his personal appearance. I never asked because it seemed quite innappropriate, but I have always been curious.