So, who decided Frankenstein was set in Transylvania?

Ah. At least *Michael Ellis remembers in time that Eve is Margaret Dumont, not Gillian Anderson . . .

. . . and that her cough pills prevent her from previewing . . .

And anyway, isn’t it illegal to hypnotise an opponent in a sword fight? I demand a do-over.

Or a makeover.

One my canes is carved of the darkest wood and a serpent winds about it.

I bear a ring out of a mysterious past. Finely crafted of silver, it is the face of a man a turban upon his brow and a forked beard upon his chin. Depictions of Muhammed are forbidden. But there is a definite religious air to the piece. Is it Moses? Jesus? Satan?

I have also a celluloid cigarette case black behind, and ivory before. It is marked with a cockatrice rampant.

That’s OK. I’m sure your pants disguise it quite well.

Well my clothes bear the symbols of my glorious ancestry. Half-scotch, half-soda, and half-Nelson.

No. I cite the precedent of Aristede vs Collins. I have acted within the law. You have not. Try to accept defeat gracefully.

Why do I bother to debate possessions? Eve is no foolish girl to be won by baubles.

I shall outdo you with nothing more substantial than words.
Anniversary

ÁI look at my watch and hurry,
I don’t want to be late,
Don’t want to miss a minute of my time with her,
It was just like this the night we met,
The full moon making the clouds glow like Japanese lanterns,
I wandered through that beautiful night,
Drinking it in like fine liqueur,
When I saw her we were both drunk on it,
Tonight is not for wandering,
Tonight I have a destination, precious and important,
I was singing when I saw her first,
She was dancing,
My song and her dance were so perfect together,
I pass the church where we were wed a year ago,
Past the church and into the cemetery,
Four weeks and six days ago, a bullet ended her dance,
A gunshot the last song she ever heard,
I open the door of her tomb and enter,
Slowly, I open her coffin,
A gentle kiss on her cheek,
And I sing her favorite song softly into her ear,
They say all good things must end,
But true love never dies.

That’s a mighty pretty speech there Sherlock, why not hang it up by the fireplace. You can hang yourself too while you’re at it, you upstart.

Upstart?!?!?!

This regrettable incident has plunged our two countries into WAR!!!

I wasn’t talking to you, Ike.

OK, now I am totally confused. I’m going to toddle off to bed now with my Playbill and try to figure out who’s who.

[gunshots . . . duels . . . poison rings . . . now we’re at war . . . no wonder Helen of Troy had an unlisted number . . . ]

Goodnight, dear Eve. Sleep well, my dear, and remember me on the 'morrow.

The Hammer Frankenstein movies were set in Germany, too.

I’m confused. Did we ever figure out why GIGObuster thought that anyone thought Frankenstein was set in Translyvania?

Speaking of Translyvania, Eve might be interested to hear that when I was in college I was philosophy tutor to a Romanian exchange student who came from the Transylvanian region, so…ah… Actually, I don’t think I can take that anywhere interesting. Maybe I’ll just leave now.

In a huff.

Or possibly a minute and a huff.

I am beginning to be confused myself Lamia, I thought I made clear that I knew already that the classic movies were set in Transylvania, I was complaining why later (much later it seems) movies like Young Frankenstein had references of Frankie being set in Romania, AFAIKR this association popped in cartoons and other movies, One forgettable one: Transylvania 6-500.

I guess old Mel Brooks gets the “blame” here.

And right after hitting submit, I notice that I will confuse people more!

:smack:

Correction:

“I knew already that the classic movies were NOT set in Transylvania”

Young Frankenstein is the only take on Frankenstein I know of that references Transylvania, so that’s probably where the trend started…although I think part of the confusion around here is due to the fact that it doesn’t seem to have been all that big of a trend. Anyway, it just goes to show what kind of trouble people can cause by trying to be funny!

Oddly enough, just a couple of hours ago I happened to catch the end of an Everybody Loves Raymond episode in which Ray’s dad, played by Peter Boyle, dresses up as the Frankenstein Monster for Halloween. And in looking at the IMDB entry just now, I see that Boyle hails from darkest Pennsylvania…

I don’t mean to bust your chops GIGO but you say now that you already knew it wasn’t the classics…and you thought it was clear etc.

But originally your position was

"Mmm, more searching points to other reviewers mentioning that the movie was set in a German/Austrian village, can someone verify if the 1931 movie was set in Germany? If that is so, then this movie was not the one that originated the Transylvania connection; even tough it is true that it came after Dracula."

I think this may be part of the confusion. :wink:

Nah t-keela, that was just giving Dogface the benefit of the doubt, I had seen the classics and I knew they were set in Germany, but Dogface replying so fast made me doubt: maybe Universal just made the German setting not so obvious? (I wondered) However, as others showed, Dogface was dead wrong.

So, that was NOT my original position.

As no other contender has appeared, I will have to blame Young Frankenstein (1974), as the guilty party.

AFAICR cartoons from the 70’s, and later pop references, put Frankie in Transylvania and I know think it was due to the popularity of the Mel Brooks movie.