Soccer vs. Football: Which one will comet dominate as the biggest spectator sport?

Maybe, certainly possible but doesn’t Maverick get the girl?
I’m not overly convinced that’s on Rondembo’s agenda.

The sport which willl dominate the world’s airwaves in 100 years is whichever one the Chinese end up deciding is their favorite. Which probably won’t be either football of the American or rest-of-world version.

According to Star Trek Enterprise the sport of the future is Water Polo. You have been warned.

Please, a NFL game is infinitely more exciting to watch than soccer. Soccer is basically a bunch of skinny guys most Americans have never heard of kicking a ball and running around for 90 minutes while the fans riot out of boredom and in the end the game ends 0-0. How can anyone watch a sport in which no one scores and a game ends in a tie?

Millions do; millions more than watch NFL football. And they don’t require cheerleaders, expensive commercials, halftime shows, celebrity appearances, “wardrobe malfunctions” or other distractions to keep them tuned in.

Funny, that.

Perphaps not an appropriate analogy, so how about this:

Soccer is a Panini sandwich - mostly foreign and slightly effeminate, liked primarily by liberal cosmopolitan euro-wannabes in cities like Seattle, skinny and small men eat this in order to fit into their european metrosexual clothes

Football is BBQ ribs - masculine, mainstream, liked by patriotic red-meat star and striples loving rugged individualists, big and full of exciting flavors, for large men who like protein and build muscles through weigh training.

I’ve watched a number of games of both forms of football and have seen exciting games in both and boring games in both. You really cannot be so declarative…

I dare you to go to a Millwall game and say that.

Again with the musclemen. To paraphrase the bear in that joke, you’re not here for the football, are you…

You know what I mean. We Americans like bigness and power. We want our athletes to be 7 feet tall, 280lb and be able to bench press 400lbs. We don’t take too kindly to athletes that weight 160lb and are 5’10, they get made fun of in our sports for being little weaklings. Americans simply aren’t impressed by soccer players, and the fact they’re also pretty boys who spend too much on hair product doesn’t help.

NFL football is taking over England, it will likely take over Europe as well. Its just too high production and too impressive as a spectacle to ignore. Soccer just doesn’t compare, its just boring to watch that big field with little guys running around kicking a ball, there’s nothing spectacular or impressive.

No, it isn’t.

Your pronouncement is premature, at best. I think the best you can say, today, is that the NFL is making some inroads in England.

The NFL plays one game a season in England. Roger Goodell (NFL commissioner) has indicated that the NFL would like to, someday, have a London-based franchise.

The NFL used to have a European-based developmental league. It folded a few years back, at least in part because attendance wasn’t great (based on what’s listed here, their average attendance was only about 1/2 to 1/3 of the capacity of the stadiums in which they played). And, at the time it folded, NFL Europe had completely pulled out of the U.K.; they had 5 German teams, and one Dutch team.

I hear soccer fans don’t care about how their light beer tastes either.

Can you just go ahead and say “Soccer is gay”? We all know that’s what you’re getting at.

Bear lovers wouldnt think “gay” is a slur, hence the whole effeminate angle. At least that’s the act Rondembo went with.

I’m not going to insult soccer fans, but that is the general sentiment around here, especially among mainstream sports fans. Soccer is just so…well…not masculine, lets put it that way.

If you want to see something interesting, try googling “soccer WAGs” (WAG is an acronym for “wives and girlfriends”).

If soccer players are effeminate or metrosexual, it certainly doesn’t seem to be stopping them from getting some awesomely hot babes. :smiley:

Do you like gladiator movies?

I enjoyed the movie Gladiator. :eek:

Can you define “here”? And don’t say Aemrica, but I am in American, and I don’t see that as the sentiment.

When I go to MLS games, I see a lot of “white” Americans who are very knowledgeable of the game and enjoy it. I don’t know what world Rondembo lives in.