Social media buttons should be more available

I blocked those buttons and a bunch of other useless cruft a long time ago. You want me to have to do more of that?

The SDMB is the social media site I use.

Since social media buttons are already available to those types who need them, I see no reason to duplicate them. Or to move them. But that’s just my opinion.

Did I miss a memo (I hate when that happens)? Where did you pull the “~37% of posters” number from?

I’m seeing buttons for del.icio.us, Digg, Facebook, Google, reddit, StumbleUpon, and Twitter between the last post and the quick reply box.

If you ticked the “block social media buttons” in your adblocker, you won’t have to do more than that.
I have a hard time believing that many people aren’t using those buttons because of a lack of visibility. I assume most don’t do it for the “get off my lawn” reasons on display in this thread. I too would be interested in knowing where the OP’s rather specific 37% number came from.

He did a poll in IMHO a while back

I see. Here’s the link to the poll results:
https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=8615

I still doubt much of that 37% would use them even if they had noticed them.

If we take the split out of the other answers and apply it to those who were unaware, we would probably expect the “yesses” to go up by about 1. That’s not a ton, in a sense, but then again going from 5 to 6 is a 20% increase, which is not insubstantial.

And I suspect that it’s silly-easy to move the share bar to the top of the page. On a cost versus reward, it will certainly be a gain.

Actually, it looks like it would go from 5 to 7.7.

Here’s another recommendation. TPTB should post threadspotting and Weird Earls to twitter.

Also, folks should follow @Str8dope_com.

I don’t see it either, and searching for Facebook on this page only shows the mentions of the word in this thread.

I’m using Safari on an iPhone, which is how I access this forum at least 95% of the time.

It’s purely a graphic, it’s not going to show up on a text search.

Oops, it’s dipped to 35.9%.

Measure for Measure’s idea is better. Very few people are going to share threads on social media. “Hey let’s talk about this conversation!”. People share articles, memes and I believe the occasional cat picture.

I agree. That is a great suggestion.