Soda ban...good idea or misguided nanny state horseshit?

Bad idea. Selling or purchasing soda in large containers does not infringe upon the rights of others.

Businesses should have the freedom to sell soda in any container of any size.

People should have the freedom to purchase soda in any container of any size.

Last I checked, this is a free country. :frowning:

Ah, but now you’re shifting the goalposts into the ethereal plane.

Why station an employee at the drink machine?
Why not a National Guardsman? With a rifle. And hand grenades

The state maintains the Guard for your own protection, ya know.

Just because it may cost less to support an obese person’s health care vs a healthy person’s health care does NOT mean that one of them doesn’t contribute to rising health costs, while the other one does. The impact of obesity is yet to be seen, as the rapid fattening of America is a fairly recent phenomenon.

We don’t know that without a breakdown of cost vs timespan. If it’s taking the obese person 60 years to get to $250,000 and the normal weight person 85 years to get to $280,000, the obsese person costs the health care system significantly more over the span of their life than the other does.

Once someone dies, though, they begin costing the system $0 a year. I’m not sure why the annual measurement matters, given that insurance companies think in terms of actuarial tables and long-term statistical analysis. Your point is only relevant if obese people start living for a much longer time than they currently do.

My motive is the same as Bloomberg’s…maybe.

I saw a Yes, Minister episode in which Sir Humphrey made this exact point.

Something else to keep in mind: If people are allowed to order two small size drinks (which Bloomberg has said will be okay) then that will increase the amount of trash in landfills.

And while we’re on the subject, drinking water’s healthy and all that, but what is it about water bottles that makes (some) people drop them on the ground the second they’re empty? Sorry, that’s probably another thread…

I don’t approve of the super size stuff, but it’s not my choice to make. People should be free to make their own decisions. My philosophy it that “if it doesn’t harm the person or property of another, it should be legal.”

Did anybody hear ever read the story “With Folded Hands” by Jack Williamson, and written in 1947? It’s the one about robots that protect people from harm, but go too far.

Less laws and government, more personal rights and take the results as your own responsibility. The government needs to keep the fuck out of peoples lives.

So the corporations can step the fuck in? Corporations that will employ every marketing trick in the book, to get you to pay for ingesting their left-over corn syrup so they can make a profit?

I wonder what the city’s official reason is for not targeting all “sugary drinks.” (I suspect that the real reason is one or a combination of “but juice is natural” and pop having an image that’s low-class enough that it’s easier to use sanctimony and shame to boost this idea’s popularity. It would just be wrong to target someone’s sassy little cranmango juice blaster or whatever, even though it’s just as sugary and doesn’t really have a whole lot of other redeeming nutritional features.)

Hell, disolve a vitamin C tablet in your soda and it’s pretty much as nutritious as juice. (Hey, didn’t Orange Crush used to have that added to it? Guess that makes it a “Healthy” drink.)

If this measure was passed, would the restaurants respond by coming out with more and more diet sodas? That could be good. Those of us who like diet soda have had to put up with just Diet Coke / Diet Pepsi (and now Coke Zero) for too long, I say! It’s time for Sprite Zero, Diet Hawaiian Punch, and Diet Orange Crush to rule the day!

Holy shit, you are right! I was going to post this earlier but I saw an ad for a fast food joint on my way to work. Had to stop. Then there was an ad for a gas station. Had to top off. Then there was a radio commercial for a car dealership. I didn’t really want a new car but I heard the ad. On the way to the car dealer there was a billboard for laser hair removal. My fiancee is going to be surprised, not by just the new car but the new hairless me. Luckily, she ought to like the new bed as I passed an ad for a sale at a bed store. Of course, since I pass this sign every day, she is getting upset with the 3,869 beds we have in the back yard. Damned those bed advertisers! If they stopped advertising I’d have room in my back yard.

And my boss is getting a bit mad. But it really isn’t my fault those evil advertisers put up the signs for the strip club right on my way to work. I think I’ll suggest that he take a new route to work. If he passes the sign then he’ll have to go in, I mean it is an ad and we all have to obey those. Then he can’t get mad at me for being in a strip club instead of work, 'cause it really isn’t my fault. He will understand, it is the ads fault after all.

Aw crap, not a girdle. MSNBC.com had a girdle ad posted for Macys. I really don’t need a girdle. Gotta run to the store.

Slee

People don’t take prohibition kindly. I disagree with the ban due to a general lack of choice. I do think less consumption of soda could be a good thing, but this isn’t how you accomplish that. If you want the general population to consume less soda you need to teach them from a young age that it is detrimental to your health. Their general logic is that humans are too stupid to make their own choices, therefore their choices should be decided for them.

Whether the problem has a .com or a .gov on it makes no difference to me. In the words of George Carlin, it’s bullshit and it’s bad for ya.

Oh and don’t you Dutch heathens serve your sodas without ice? I bet if you added ice to those glasses you linked to earlier you’d have your standard soda served at American fast food joints.:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m glad for you that you apparently have omniscience and perfect information about the market at all times.

The problem with things like HFCS is that it gets shoved into foodstuffs without the public’s knowledge or consent. If we do notice and ask questions, it gets dressed up in happy-marketing speak which we can’t easily penetrate and see the truth behind because, hey, trade secrets, plus the majority of individuals typically don’t have the skills to test and verify these things for themselves. By the time someone (like the gummint) runs the tests and is able to conclusively verify that, holy shit, this stuff’s bad for you, it’s already been so deeply integrated into standard society that it’s nearly impossible to remove it by consent-based means.

Nanny state horseshit. Just like the drug laws.

I don’t like to see people kill themselves, but the harm done by the drug laws far exceeds the good it might do. This is not quite as bad since you can always legally buy another soda, but it tends in the same direction.

Well, that and the fact that the only reason it’s getting put into so much stuff is because of the government subsidy on corn making it cheaper than sugar. HFCS is really not that hard to test, so, without that, they might have had time.