Soda Jerks: What's a "Black & White"?

No, no, you grab some scotch tape, a hose and a rubber nipple…

…Yup! Just like selling someone the Brooklyn Bridge! :wink:

• Jinx

Here’s an article with several hypotheses for the name of the egg cream.

Why is everybody tip toeing around it? The egg cream is a Jew thing. As Jewish immigrants spread from New York, they brought the egg cream with them. I doubt you can find an egg cream in most of Florida, but around Boca Raton, no trouble. Many synagogues sell egg creams at Purim carnivals and other celebrations. Many American Jews consider the egg cream as much a part of our culture as a bagel with lox and a shmear of cream cheese.

Re Fox’s U-Bet Syrup

Though affordably priced and easily available in my local supermarkets, U-Bet is considered as the greatest of chocolate syrups. Substituting some ‘chocolate flavored’ goo is an insult to the egg cream. If U-Bet is not available near you, one of the better varieties of Hershey’s is acceptable. I prefer Vintage brand seltzer. But, that’s just me.

I have to disagree with the Hershey’s substitution. I’m by no means a purist, but for some reason, it just doesn’t taste at all “right” when it’s anything but Fox’s and I’ve tried several of the more expensive syrups (thinking more expensive = better).