Sold car...sort of

Some of the stuff mentioned, like lapsed insurance or registration renewals, are automatically monitored by DMV computers, so it’s not as if there’s a state employee sitting there checking the status of want2befree’s cars.

Wow, California’s process sounds convoluted and risky for the selller. In Georgia, once I have a signed Bill of Sale and the new owner has the signed Title all liability is the buyer’s. If he were to get into a wreck on the way home from buying my car, all I would need to do would be show the police the Bill of Sale and I am off the hook for any damages.

I don’t think I would like having to trust the buyer to submit paperwork (and DMV process it timely and accurately!) before I’m out of the loop.

Well, they are now

Yeah, but those computers! Why they gotta hound want2befree like that? They could be hounding like a million other people.

From my experience, the DMV is one of the better things about California! :smiley:

It’s only because he lost the title. All bets are off. A seller can transfer ownership of a vehicle “AS IS” if the buyer accepts the transaction. A bill of sale helps here. The seller is then in no way responsible for anything the buyer has to do to get it registered. Only speaking from experience (and actual advice from DMV). If the OP signed a transfer of ownership and gave it to DMV, he is off the hook. DMV should be able to tell you if they have that document.