Solo artists who re-recorded a song from the group they were in

The song appears on Idol’s first full release appropriately entitled Billy Idol. The running time is listed as 3:19.

I was trying to find the “original” version for comparison. The bass line kicks ass.

“Hello It’s Me” was a hit for The Nazz, who also had a hit with “Open My Eyes.” (Two hits is two better than most; not sure this is “going nowhere.”) Rundgren didn’t sing the Nazz’ hit version, the vocalist Stewkey did (he currently has a new “Nazz” which has rerecorded some of this material, plays it live and has written some new stuff of their own.)

On live albums/in concert McCartney certainly does Beatles material.

I believe Brian Wilson has recorded some solo stuff from The Beach Boys, which was largely his effort in any event.

I think Kenny Rogers rerecorded some First Edition songs, including ones which came out as performed by “Kenny Rogers and The First Edition,” whatever that would mean…

Not 100% sure, but I believe Marc Bolan may have redone some John’s Children material.

Yes, the songwriter/lead band member thing gets tricky.

She did not re-record it. They simply re-editted the song from the master.

When I went to download “Dancing With Myself” off iTunes, I was irritated because I wasn’t sure which of the several versions was the one I wanted. And it’s not like it’s the fault of iTunes – it can’t produce a magic mind-reading arrow that says, “Dude, THIS is the one you’re thinking of.”

I decided to take the one credited to Billy Idol and Generation X. The running time is listed as 3:16.

Smile was a beach boys project, and they eventually recorded one single from it - Good Vibrations. Last year, Brian Wilson finally finished the album and released it as a solo work, including a re-recording of Good Vibrations without any of the Beach Boys in it.

I think Ruby [Don’t Take Your Love To Town] Might qualify.

Sting has recorded a couple of Police songs.

Actually, they pulled two singles from the original “Smile” sessions: “Good Vibrations” and “Heroes And Villains.” The version of “Smile” from last year was completely re-recorded with different musicians and singers - the whole album, not just “GV.”

First a hair-split: Phil Collins ** had not yet left Genesis when he re-recorded Behind the Lines, though it was on a solo album.

Second, wasn’t Smile originally supposed to be a Beatles album but The Beatles “gave” it to **Brian Wilson ** as a thank you for something or other?

No. Nothing of the sort.

What about Eric Clapton and Layla?

Originally released with Derek and the Dominoes - then rereleased on his solo Unplugged album. It is a live performance - but it’s a different solo venture.

• Peter Wiggen

Sorry, I was basing that on Fred LaBour’s article in *The Michigan Daily * on October 14, 1969. In it he claimed that:

This article was the same one that some say launched the whole “Paul is dead” rumor. In that article LaBour admits that the “Paul is dead” thing was a hoax, and I thought with that honestly, he may have been accurate in reporting the *Smile * angle too.

*I found the text of the article on pages 29-34 of “Turn Me On, Dead Man” by Andru J. Reeve.

Seems like Sting re-did a couple of Police songs–in his more adult-contemporary solo style.

Michael Nesmith recorded Listen to the Band while he was with the Monkees and again during his solo career, but it was not one of the songs that the Monkees recorded as a band (yes, there were a couple of albums that the Monkees actually did record as a band).

On the last couple of Monkees albums each of the four of them produced their own tracks without working with each other. It was during this time that Michael Nesmith starting putting together what would become The First National Band, his backing group once he went solo. From these sessions there were several songs that ended up being rerecorded during his solo career, but I don’t think these songs should really count since he was, essentially, working as a solo artist already even though the Monkees name was still on the release and his songs appeared alongside the songs recorded by the other three. Also, many of these songs were not released as Monkees songs until the Missing Links rarities compilations came out in the late eighties, years after the Michael Nesmith solo releases.

Interestingly we can also apply the reverse to Michael Nesmith, as he recorded and released the song Mary, Mary prior to the Monkees then again on the first or second Monkees album (with Mickey on vocals)- although I only know this from liner notes from a Monkees boxed set, I never actually heard the original Mary, Mary.

Nick Lowe originally recorded (What’s So Funny About) Peace Love and Understanding while he was in the band Brinsley Schwartz. He then rerecorded it (in the role of producer) with Elvis Costello and the Attractions. He recorded it again (skipping over live recordings) in the studio as a solo artist for a B-side in the early nineties. (I would love to know if any Dopers knew this already!)

Well, most of you won’t know her, but Jenny Morris re-recorded her biggest hit from when she was in The Crocodiles: “Tears”.

And ditto for James Reyne and Australian Crawl, the relevant track being Reckless. His version was an out-and-out massacre.

Backwards and in Swedish: The solo album by Friday, the red head from ABBA, Frida Ensam had a Swedish version of “Fernando.” It was such a hit in Sweden that Benny & Bjorn wrote English lyrics for ABBA to record, making a worldwide hit.

More Phil Collins: Frida recorded a duet with him “Here We’ll Stay” on her Something’s Going On album. She wanted to release the song as a 45 single, he refused, so she redid the song as a solo released it.

Peter Cetera did a really good update on (You’re the) Inspiration, which was a Chicago song during his stint as lead singer with them.

Oh, and I’m not talking about the Az Yet remix, which I personally thought was a crime. He did a solo version.

I hesitated about this one, but Dave Mason recorded Only You Know and I Know with Delaney and Bonnie and Friends before it was on his solo album. The D&B album was live, but it was recorded first and I believe it was released earlier.

Well, he didn’t die, did he… that about sums up the level of factual accuracy going on in that story.

Smile was what Brian had been working on for months when he heard a pre-release acetate of “A Day In The Life.” At this point, he panicked and figured there was no way to top this. Combined with the massive intake of drugs at the time, his precarious mental and emotional state and other problems within The Beach Boys, namely Mike Love, Brian abandoned his album project. I hypothesize that The Beatles came no closer to the awareness of Smile than being fans of The Beach Boys like the rest of us, and hearing it reported that it was coming out.

Shapes of Things was originally recorded by The Yardbirds as a mid-60’s psychedelic pop song. Jeff Beck left the Yardbirds and formed the Jeff Beck Group, with Rod Stewart on vocals, and re-recorded the song (Track #1 on JBG’s first album, Truth - one of the best albums ever, easily ranking with Led Zep #1 as a great late-60’s blues-rock transition to the classic rock sound).