Somalian Pirates Seize US Crew -- Is It On?

Bryan, you misspelled “the fuckers” above.

I love this from the linked story:

I never knew the Cole was a battleship…

:stuck_out_tongue:

-XT

I don’t know too much about this, and it seems to be resolved already, but if I’m not mistakin’, the SEALS are trained specifically for this type of mission. That is, to slip in undetected, do what needs to be done and save the day.
It would probably go something like this.

Out of curiosity here, why all the anger and over the top ‘Kill em all! The gods will surely know their own’ type comments? Yeah, it sucks that these guys are out raiding the commerce shipping in the region. However, two things. First off, AFAIK, several European nations HAVE dispatched naval vessels to the region and this has cut down (somewhat) on the attacks. Secondly, it’s not like the pirates are treating their prisoners harshly…in fact, they seem to be going out of their way to NOT treat them harshly.

So…I can certainly understand why there SHOULD be a stronger naval presence in the region (which is going to translate into the US having to move a sizable force there as we are really the only ones with a Navy that can deploy long term to such a region). Got that. But I’m not seeing the fury or blood thirsty-ness aspect I guess.

-XT

Oh, well, in that case… be gentle when you obliterate them.

That’s just it…their boats are small, fast and maneuverable. And they don’t necessarily have to “get the hell out of dodge” once they’ve boarded the vessel, either. From that point on it’s a hostage situation, and a gigantic warship can’t do anything short of sinking the seized vessel (and why would they do that).

THAT’S the biggest problem, stopping them before they are aboard. Once aboard, it’s generally over (although in this case it looks like we made out OK).

As per CNN’s last report, the Americans have regained control of the ship. Phew!

With the usual jingoistic ignorance I bet.

What did I say?

We have done this topic many times and we always hear the same ignorant idiocies repeated over and over by people who have no idea what they are talking about.

I suppose the way to control crime in NYC would be the same, “first we nuke Queens… then …”

I dunno, something about you not being able to face reality or something.

You know… I hear that solution every time some sort of thread about Israel/Palestine pops up too.

I don’t know about insurance, but some ocean carriers have added a “piracy risk surcharge” on all shipments through the area. It is in the neighborhood of $20 - $25 per twenty-foot container, double that for a 40-foot container.

C’mon guys, some people are missing the opportunity here. By hunting down the pirates, we reduce the number of pirate hijackings and fight global warmingat the same time!

Your chart says the contrary, my good sir. We should be breeding pirates!

Shows what happens when the crew knows they aren’t getting a cut of the profits.

Darn, I guess that eliminates these kids in puffy shirts trying their hand at square dancing at a Flogging Molly concert I went to (no seriously, they really did have signs on their chests that said “ARRRRRRGGGGGHHH! I’m a pirate matey!”)

You know what… Screw all those who want to have a rational, reasonable and intelligent discussion! Is that all what the SDMB is about? I say that when you make a thread with the word "pirates"in title, you takes yer chances…

Damn fool jingoists, and damn fool Jokers are just dying to drop in. :stuck_out_tongue:

I just heard on the TV three pirates may have escaped with the captain as a hostage.

If so this is not quite over yet (although still better than it could have been if they had the whole ship and crew).

The way I heard it three pirates had been thrown overboard by the crew. Quite a difference. I wonder which one it is.

::sigh:: How do you “flatten” a beach and what good would it do? Do you realize that Somalia’s coastline is like 2000 miles long? Do you even realize how big the sea is?

It has to be frustrating for the US navy to see people on messageboards who know nothing are thinking the US Navy is run by idiots who cannot even see the obvious solutions which even know-nothings on messageboards can see. I guess the US Navy should be logging in here for advice on how they should run their operations.

::sigh:: I just wish somebody would come along who could edumacate us poor neanderthals what don’t know nuthin’ ‘bout nuthin’.