Some Olympic questions...

I noticed in the gymnastics routines, there’s always a distinct beep just before a gymnast is about to finish a routine. For the floor exercise, it’s right before the last tumbling sequence. What is that for? Is it a time warning of some kind?

Swimming question: often just before a race begins, the swimmers are shown taking a sip of the water before getting set. Is that just a luck thing or something else?

A lot of the swimmers like to get wet before the race, I guess it helps know what the temp of the pool is. I’ve seen them put water in their mouths and spit it out, but never seen them take a drink from a cup or anything. It’s just a ritual they have.

Yes, the floor exercise and the balance beam (and possibly others) both have time limits, with deductions if you go over.

Lack of any official explanations anywhere suggests it is just an NBC thing. I can’t find mention of it in descriptions of the scoring rules. At first, I was given the impression that the color codes were some sort of rating of how good they did, or something official, and I was trying to see how if factored in the scoring system. Apparently, it is just a kind of visual scorecard so the audience at home can easily get a qualitative feel of how well they performed their chosen skill set.

It turns out to be irrelevant, because the actual ratings are purely the numerical score, not how many deductions they got. Gymnast 1 can have a start score of 17, take 2.5 in deductions, and score a 14.5. Gymnast 2 can have a start score of 14.5, take 0.5 in deductions, and have a score of 14. The first gymnast had a red score, the second a green score, but gymnast 1 is ahead on points.

Speaking of stupid, I’m slightly annoyed at the all-round coverage for their lack of showing the score totals. The competition is each competitor scores each round on an apparatus, and their cummulative score determines the winner. They did a mostly good job of showing each event score, and of verbally trying to keep us updated on who was situated where, but they didn’t show us the cummulative point scores for comparison. It’s not like it couldn’t be done, they do it in the diving competition. They just chose not to.

I think she was spritzing the bar, and then chalking the bar. The water helps the chalk stick to the bar. However, she wants an smooth, even coating of chalk, not clumps, so it’s on spritz instead of stream.

10 second warning. They have to complete balance beam and floor within a specified time period, or they lose points. That keeps them from pausing and catching their breath, regaining composure, whatever in the middle of a routine. The idea is that they have to keep going, not stop and take a nap.

Several of them reach down and splash from the pool. I’ve seen a few use bottled water, take a sip, then pour the bottle on their chest. That seems an odd way to do it. It may be a luck thing.

It’s distinctly different than splashing themselves; they reach into the water, pull a cupped hand of water to their mouth and sip it. Their hand is in front of their face so I don’t know if they spit it out or not, but they definitely take a sip. Of course the swimming events are almost over, but watch for it when they’re getting ready to race.

Breakdancing? That’s what I call it anyway. Thanks for the answers, they were very helpful :smiley:

I remember watching the first night of gymnastics and the announcer explaining them. I was under the impression that it was an NBC thing to make it easier for viewers

Has anyone ever tried to use a different stroke? There’s apparently a lot of strokes. Maybe someone out there is better at one of these other strokes than the typical freestyle

Another question. This year I’ve actually noticed some changes in the typical routines that the gymnasts do. And they’re all doing it. For years, one of the typical moves in the female floor routine was this weird landing where they’re tumbling and tumbling and right after they stop, they kind of crash to the floor like a belly flop and go into some on-the-ground routines. Nobody did that this year. What I have noticed instead is during the tumbling runs on the floor routine, instead of sticking the landing, the girls do a kind of split-legged jump into the air.

Were these new moves just something someone added, then everyone started doing because it gave extra points? Or did the international gymnastics federation start mandating it?

Its not just women’s floor. In the past, the men’s pommel horse would never start with 2 handstands but now everyone starts that way. And different from Beijing and past years, the guys no longer do the split-legged breakdancing thing on the pommel horse either. I liked that move, it was fun to watch

Couldn’t tell you why they do it really. I can’t think of anyone who just takes a sip without splashing themselves. I’ve never seen anyone drink it though. It’s possible they just want to see what the water tastes like. I know pools all taste different, but I’m suspecting it’s just something they do.

I recall them doing this at previous Olympics, and it only made it more confusing. Each of the events has different average scores, so with the rotation system, France might be on the one that averages 16 points per person, while the US is on the one that averages 14 points per person.

So then they give the total scores after one rotation, and then they have to explain that we’re supposed to ignore that and France isn’t really ahead, they just did the higher-scoring event first.

This is the answer. If you don’t limit how far swimmers can swim underwater, competitors will attempt to extend how far they go underwater without taking a breath, which encourages hyperventilation prior to the race. Hyperventilation tends to decrease the concentration of carbon dioxide in the blood, which decreases the urge to take a breath. (The urge to breathe comes from the level of CO[sub]2[/sub] in the bloodstream, not the oxygen level.) However, with a decreased urge to breathe, the swimmer’s oxygen level in their brain may get so low that they faint. For obvious reasons, fainting is bad when you’re swimming. This rule decreases the chances that swimmers will drown during training or in an actual event.

They are welcome to try, but no freestyle swimmer at this level of competition has used any stroke other than the front crawl in many decades. Someone may be “better” at one of those other strokes, but nobody has been faster using any stroke other than the front crawl since the stroke was first introduced–which is why it supplanted all of the alternatives.

Thanks. I’ve watched a little more gymnastics since posting my question (about coaches standing ready catch a faller) and noticed that only a few gymnasts have this done for them. I wonder if it could send a negative message to the judges, even subconsciously. Certainly, it has been proven that if someone expects something to be good, they are more likely to think that it is good. Having a coach there sends the message “I think this gymnast might fall.”

For the track events, they are using lanes 2-9. Why are they not using lane 1? Why even have a lane 1?

I know one that may be faster. When divers initially jump into the water, they are completely underwater and glide there for a few seconds before coming up. I don’t know what the rules say exactly, but I know you have to come up after the jump. But can you immediately go back under and glide to the wall? If a guy just practices his kicking and leg strength, he may be able to save his upper body’s energies for the legs. I don’t know if that counts as a stroke though, seeing as how I’m envisioning you not using your arms at all

I quoted the rule above. Here is the relevant part:

You have to be at the surface for the majority of the race.

You can find video of backstroke races before that rule was implemented, and the swimmers were underwater the entire length of the pool, before coming up right before the turn, then repeating it for the next length. It makes for a really boring time for the spectators, but some pretty fast times.

Lane 1 was a metal railing just inside it. During distance events you can see how perilous the railing can be. So Lane 1 is significantly disadvantaged (perhaps only mentally- as overstepping the lines is verboten as well) as well as the tighter turn is also a bit harder to keep your pace consistent. They will use lane 1 if they need to but it is more fair to run them in 2-9.

Added: I can’t find it now but there was a study/analysis done and people in Lane 1 consistently performed worse than expected (it was around the time of the ‘Red Shirt = better in boxing’ paper.)

OK, I am kind of stuck on the disparities between the men’s and women’s events, from my earlier post upthread. I can see the need for some things to be different, such as the equipment, but some of the differences are really not justified IMHO:

Same:
Archery: 70m from the target for men and women.
Cycling - Mountain: same course.
Soccer/Football: Men and women play on the same size field, with same size goal.
Marathon - same for men and women.

Different:
Swimming - all the same except: W: 800m, M: 1500m.
Basketball: Women’s ball is smaller than the men’s - this may be justified.
Water Polo play area: W: 20x25m, M: 20x30m.
Beach Volleyball: Net height 7’ 11 5/8" for men. 7’ 4 1/8" for women - May be OK, too.
BMX: The men’s track is 450m long and the women’s is 440m long.
Cycling - Road: The Road Race course is 250km for men, 140km for women. The Time Trial course is 44km for men, and 29km for women.
Tennis: Women play best of 3, men play best of 5.

Why the differences? There seems to be no justification for some of these things. Is it because women’s sports are seen as more of a sideshow than the mens events?

Not necessarily an Olympic question but in indoor volleyball, one player on each team has a different color jersey on. What do they get to do that their teammates don’t?

I heard they are designated defensive players - they always hold the back line, and incidentally are shorter than the players up front (more diving - the ball is lower to the ground back there).