Somebody stole my microwave oven!

I had a big metal schoolteacher desk that weighed a ton. My son helped me dismantle it to its three sections and haul them to my work in a trailer. We put each section in/on my dumpster. I anticipated some grief from my garbage hauler.

The next day the desk was gone. I never even considered the scrap metal value.

When I was working for Oakleaf Waste Management, I was talking with an Osco Drug about their recyclable cardboard, and they told me that they had set out a bale of cardboard, and actually saw some guy in a pickup truck covertly pull up to it, and he and a buddy horsed a whole bale into their pickup and drive off :eek:

It is not unusual for people to go and effectively steal baled cardboard. One bunch in Arizona have a truck with donkeylift and will shark the bales before the arranged pickup can get the cardboard. Pisses off the actual hauler contracted to get the bales because they have wasted driver time, fuel and wear and tear on the trucks.

Somebody stole my nice 0.5mm mechanical pencil from my desk on Thursday. So all day Friday I had to make do with the cheap 0.7mm Bic one I had in my drawer. Saturday I went out and bought four new 0.5mm ones. But they are Pentels and the one I had was a Pilot that I really liked and it was more comfortable. At least I have three backups now if somebody pinches this one.

Look! I found a mechanical pencil blog!

Has anyone here ever used 1-800-GOT-JUNK? I have two non-working TVs and an old couch to get rid of, but they seem pretty expensive.

They are expensive. They are more for if you need to clean out an old barn or your attic, or are remodeling and have more bags of trash than are acceptable to your normal hauler.

You should call your normal hauler and enquire about a bulk pickup. Appliances are a bit more tricky to dispose of because of the materials they are made of. If the town is your hauler, just call the town clerk and ask about a bulk pickup.

Would they come into my apartment, though? I can’t move any of these items on my own. One of the TVs is one of those old console TVs that just sits on the floor.

No the vendor wouldn’t come into your flat, only Got Junk would, I believe.

[the problem with the old console type TVs is the huge amount of lead weighing them down. My brother and mrAru just removed one from my Mom’s house that weighed something on the order of 200 pounds. The flatscreen is so much lighter!]

You could do what they do in the first five seconds of the SCTV opening.