Someone at the FCC needs a dictionary...

Another exception is San Antonio, TX’s WOAI (broadcasting on both on TV & radio).

You find many exceptions to the K/W rule in the Twin Cities. The Mississippi River is generally regarded as the K/W dividing line, but there are many exceptions near the river, such as WCCO in Minneapolis and KSTP in St. Paul.

When I first moved here in 1990, there was a WLOL-FM. “LOL” in those pre-internet days stood for “Land of Lakes”.

According to the article in Ferd Burfel’s link, though, the FCC doesn’t oversee radio and TV station call letters.

Although the owner did voluntarily request a call letter re-assignment, the lettes KUNT and KWTF are again available.

Tulare, California used to have an AM/FM combo operation.

The AM was Top 40 - KCOK

The FM was Country - KJUG

(Beavis and Butthead)

Huh-huh. Huh-huh. He said Cocks and Jugs.

(/B&B)

There actually is a talk radio station call KRAP (pronounced kay-rap).

And the one I remember hearing most in the late 70’s: “You’re listening to Kay-Oh-Em-Ee, the KOME spot on your dial.”

We have a WJZZ here. The first time I saw it advertised on a billboard, it took me longer than it should have to realize it was a play on the word “jazz,” and not… well.

We’ve got it’s mirror twin, KJZZ for the local NPR/Jazz station. They’ve never capitalized on the ‘Jizz’ connection, for some reason.

Perhaps they found it unseamenly, for their demographic.

I like WWVA in Wheeling, West (by God!) Virginia. Home of Mountain Stage.

Two exceptions for that city. There is (or maybe was - it could be gone by now) an AM station KQV. During the '70s, Rush Limbaugh was a disc jockey on it, spinning Top 40.

Their license expired last year, no idea if they renewed or not.