Someone Stole My Copyrighted Idea! Whadda I Do?

The case of Burger King in Mattoon Ill. is a well known example.

Fair enough. I’m very amused by the whole thing. I suppose being ripped off (however indirectly, coincidentally so) by a guy from The New Yorker means I’ve made it in this world.

Don’t worry; although the mental anguish has weighed terribly on me*, I’ve no plans to sue anyone.

True story time. I’ll change the names to protect the guilty. Imagine that a fabric shop planned to open in NYC with the name “SoHo Fabric”. They opened bank accounts, bought product from wholesalers, signed a lease, obtained a DBA from the state, and attended a conference all under that name. They also erected a large"Coming Soon SoHo Fabric" sign in the window. They are just about to open when another store in the city registers “SewHo Fabric” as a Federal trademark and sends a cease and desist letter to the store a week before the opening. Soon the interlopers register “SoHo Fabric” as well.

The letter claims that the new store owner learned of the existing store’s plan to use the name “SewHo” while they taught a class there. New store owner vigorously denies that.

New store opens anyway and counter-sues. Discovery goes on for almost a year. Existing store (now closed) keeps on saying it needs more time to produce records. Lawyer bills pile up. Finally, it goes to court and the only documentation the old store can show is sending three sewing patterns, to three relatives, in three different states, for $1. These were sent after the sign at the new store went up. No other documentation of any kind for prior use is produced.

Judge is annoyed, rules for new store, but no damages are awarded and new store is stuck with hefty lawyer bills. The whole process takes over a year.

Moral: register you trademark.

You don’t need to register to prove copyright. But, you do need some proof. Registration could provide that proof, but it is far from necessary.

Let’s say I published my story in a small regional paper. That could be used as proof of my copyright. Let’s say I sent my story to an editor and our mail exchange on the story, (plus the fact he has a copy of my story) could act as proof. Or, I simply shared the store with some friends on a fishing trip. They could testify to the date and time of my story.

In fact, if the person who stole my story registered it, their copyright would not hold if I could show that I came up with the work first.

You actually have to register it as an intent-to-use registration if it is registered before you engage in commerce using the mark. The mark has to be actually used in commerce before you can get the full registration protection.

No, registration’s benefit is that you can obtain statutory damages if you prevail in a lawsuit, which is pretty much the only way a lawyer will be willing to take the case. The punitive damages people have been mentioning can be up to $150,000 per instance, which can quickly add up to millions. That’s a case worth pursuing.

On the other hand, as Exapno said, without registration all you can hope to recover is actual damages, which in all but the most extraordinary cases is unlikely to be more than a few thousand bucks at most. Not worth even calling a lawyer.