Songs by one artist that are always played together, rock and otherwise

Which would probably be the one fishbicycle mentioned.

Wikipedia lists this quote from Queen lead guitarist and writer of WWRY, Brian May:

Soft Cell “Tainted Love” > “Where Did Our Love Go?”

Since part 2 is a cover song, I have to assume they are meant as two different tracks.

I have the 12" remix and one blends (more so than segues) into the other.

I agree 100%.
Which is why I was totally baffeled when they didn’t even include “You Really Got Me” on the Best of Vol.1 album.
What was even more baffeling is when they had both songs on disc 1 of the Best of Both Worlds album but instead of playing them together put them on as tracks #1 and #7. I burned myself a copy and put them back in the correct order.

Does Chicago’s Hard to Say I’m Sorry/Get Away count? Radio always seemed to cut it off at the end of Hard to Say I’m Sorry (at least when they played it in the Philippines when I was a wee lad); I only really heard Get Away on the album.

Genesis Home by the Sea/Second Home by the Sea. I think some top 40 stations played only Home by the Sea, however.

It’s also not uncommon to hear Intruder/Pretty Woman.

How about Slipknot > Help on the Way > Franklin’s Tower

or Cryptical Envelopment > The Other One

Foreplay/Long Time by Boston, although Foreplay, musically, is pretty much just that.

Long Distance Runaround/The Fish by Yes

Talking Drum/Lark’s Tongue In Aspic Part 2 by King Crimson

If the category is just Segues, then 25% of my music collection… Almost all of the Frank Zappa stuff, for starters, which is about 60 full albums, plus many of the extended suites of various prog rock artists (Supper’s Ready, Tarkus, Close to the Edge, etc…)

Don’t forget Green Day’s “Brain Stew”/“Jaded”

I’m such an enthusiastic music historian that I am replying to this post two decades later, to clarify:

Crosby and Stills wrote this with Jefferson Airplane member Paul Kantner, while hanging out on David Crosby’s actual wooden ship, which was called The Mayan.

I’ll go ahead and quote the rest of the song bio on Genius.com, which I happened to have written:

They were looking back at the shore from their peaceful refuge, imagining if the Warfare State had finally brought about nuclear holocaust, and they could see men in radiation suits assessing survivors to determine who is fit to live.

Both bands recorded a version of it, the CS&N version being a pop hit.

And I’m such an enthusiastic music pedant that I am replying to this post two decades later, to clarify.

A tricky one, because the originals are by two different bands…

Playin’ in the Band was a Bob Weir song, off one of my favorite albums, ACE. The Dead incorporated a couple of Weir’s solo tunes off that album into their show. Notably Mexicali Blues, One More Saturday Night and *Cassidy *(my vote for “most intriguing song”… (why does a catch colt draw a coffin cart?)

Devo had two of these I can think of:

Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA
Timing X/Clockout

Does the Guess Who’s “No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature” count as one or two songs?

TV Tropes calls these Siamese Twin Songs and they have lots of examples.

I can’t hear Pulling Mussels (from the Shell) unless it has directly followed Another Nail in My Heart.

No Sugar Tonight was released without New Mother Nature, as a single. So it certainly can be seen as a shibboleth to determine whether the entity playing the song “gets it”.

Sirius/Eye in the Sky by the Alan Parsons Project. I had to look it up to make sure, as I’ve always (I think) heard it played together, but the single version of Eye in the Sky does edit out the Sirius part, and they are two tracks on the album.

I’ve always viewed it as part of the general imagery of the song – the juxtaposition of death against new young life: Cassady dying and Cassidy being born.