Songs that bring up memories of mundane events.

“1999” by Prince reminds me of riding the bus to middle school.

Honestly, I don’t remember what else was in the store, just that it was very crowded with stuff. I’d read an article about it so of course I had to go there. They had a bazillion stickers and I spent a boatload of my paper route money.

On topic: Depeche Mode’s “Some Great Reward” (the whole tape - heh, “tape”) reminds me of sitting on my bunk at camp when I was 12. It was the first time I’d heard them and we played that tape over and over. As soon as I got home I went to Sam the Record Man and bought it.

EDIT: I just Googled “The Wiz Toronto”. It was a candy store on Eglinton. http://www.cbc.ca/archives/discover/programs/a/anybody-home/a-sweet-trip-to-the-candy-shop.html

I remember riding around in the car when I was a kid and listening to songs like “Lookin’ Out My Back Door” or “One Toke Over the Line.” My mom and dad weren’t really into rock, the local radio station played a weird mix of easy listening and pop. Looking back, I’m surprised they played “One Toke.” It was a small market station and I’m sure station management didn’t have a clue what it was about. It was just a song with a nice melody. At 10 years old, I didn’t know what toking was and I’m sure my mom and dad didn’t pay it much attention.

Not a song, but for a while I used to listen to lot of Radiolab while at the gym. Just now I downloaded and started listening to the latest episode on my computer, at home in my apartment, and I had a sudden very clear sensation of the way my gym smells.

I have some Teaching Company lectures which bring back memories of completely mundane stuff like grocery shopping.

Anything from Led Zeppelin’s Houses of the Holy puts me in the back of my parent’s K-car for a moment, listening to it on headphones while vacationing in Durango, Colorado.

“Rikki Don’t Lose that Number” by Steely Dan will make me remember facing shelves overnight at Kroger.

“Tush” by ZZ Top will make me remember going to Mama’s Pizza with my family and hearing it over and over again on the Jukebox.

If it’s good enough for Lawrence Welk, it’s good enough for them.

That was bizarre, I am at a loss for words.

Thank You

Capt

Take A Letter Maria (the apotheosis of the drecky pop of that era) transports me to riding with my family to one of the first Ren Fairs, I think it was in Novato. All I remember of the fair was that it was hot and sunny, a lot of bales of straw, and that song. I believe I was around eleven or twelve. There is a very faint memory of a silly sword fight and puffy velvet clothing. I think that was my last Ren Fair as well.

I now feel transported to another universe which makes even less sense than this one.

A modern spiritual. Who knew?

My Sweet Lord”, George Harrison - browsing around a coin shop as a youth. I distinctly remember hearing that song.

Feeling Stronger Every Day”, Chicago - Swimming at a lake with buddies as a teen.

Sweet City Woman”, The Stampeders - Playing chess with a friend in his basement as a teen.

Katmandu”, Bob Seger - Hanging out at the pinball arcade as a teen.

I didn’t realize I had so many of these until I started listing them.
mmm

I loved Myron Floren coughing while he made the introduction. I’m sure he rolled a few joints of his own.

Here’s a mundane event I just remembered: Before I started college, I had to get a physical. As my dad was a military retiree, I went to the local base. I remember standing in line to get shots with recruits who were my age, only they were probably headed for Viet Nam. This was the spring of 1966. (In fact, the man I married in 1992 was nine years older than I and was in Viet Nam 1966-67.) Anyway, in the waiting room “Eleanor Rigby” was playing… hearing the Beatles’ original version always takes me right back there.

Billy Joel’s ‘Only the Good Die Young’. It was popular the summer after I graduated high school and did a lot of trail riding on my horse with my friends from the barn. I had a cheap little transistor radio and looped the wrist strap around my saddle horn. Of all the songs we heard that summer, for whatever reason, that is the one that takes me right back.

I can feel the sway of my horse beneath me, hear the laughter of my friends, feel the sun trickling down thru the trees, smell the sweet pine and horse and leather scented air.

Wonderful memory.

“Werewolves of London” by Warren Zevon always reminds me of an ordinary summer night in my parents’ backyard when I was a teenager, playing ping-pong with myself (one side of the table was movable) next to our pool. A mundane but very nice memory.

This is sooooo weird that that particular song brings up a mundane event for you… Because it does for me too, except my mundane event is very very odd, it reminds me of… EATING TUNA

Led Zepplin’s Black Dog always makes me remember my BF of the time and I visiting Yellow Springs OH one early spring day, basically one of the first days when it was warm enough to roll down the windows and cruise - I remember stopping for a blueberry shake, and he got me a pair of silver earrings - little studs set with lapis that more or less color matched a silver and lapis ring I had.

Beethovens Moonlight Sonata reminds me of a late September night that a couple of friends and I spent sitting on a floating dock splitting a jug of wine, playing guitar and just hanging out. The air was the perfect temperature to cause a solid mist bank so that the world was a soft almost moist but not humid grey. Very surreal. Also one of the last times the 3 of us ever hung out. Marc could play a very good version of Moonlight Sonata on guitar, and it was one of my favorite versions of it.

The tune to My Bonnie reminds me of getting in trouble in school back in the day - the teacher used to bring in her guitar and the class would sing. Unfortunately, the only words that I knew to that tune were not the same words everybody else were singing. Oops.

Like other people here, I was a kid of the 70s and 80s, and a disco song can make me remember going dancing, and rock can remind me of various concert memories, and classical reminds me of home - we predominately listened to classical at home.