Songs that hint at where the band members are from in their lyrics

I heard an interview with them where thay said to them, the"city by the bay" was LA. :dubious: Maybe they were joking?

Well, I’m not sure. If Wikipedia’s version of the story can be trusted, it was originally written about LA and then changed to SF. So I would say we’re both right on this one. :slight_smile:

Green Day’s “Stuart And The Avenue” refers to the intersection of Stuart and Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley (where the band is from). Two of my friends live about 100 feet from there.

The Pretenders’ “My City Was Gone” is about Chrissie Hynde’s disillusionment with changes to her hometown of Akron, Ohio. The song mentions the city’s Howard Street and the suburb of Cuyahoga Falls.

Yeah, it’s a damned shame. I have a lot of happy memories of that place.

"“I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder”

“We’re Not the Jet Set” (John Prine/Iris DeMent, written by Bobby Braddock) had this delightful name-check:
By a fountain back in Rome I fell in love with you
In a small cafe in Athens You said you loved me too
And it was April in Paris when I first held you close to me
Rome, Georgia, Athens, Texas And Paris, Tennessee

Prine also wrote and sang “Sins of Memphisto,” “Paradise” (Muhlenberg Gounty, KY) and “Angel From Montgomery.”

A few others by less-famous singers: “Leaving Loachapoka,” “Beale Street Blues.”

Or it could refer to South Haven MI, where Darcy grew up.

Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers - Roadrunner

Don’t forget Government Center

And let’s not forget Take the A Train.

ETA: Ok, so it’s not a lyric, it’s a title, but still…

A couple off the top of my head:

Kid Rock / All Summer Long - talks about northern Michigan.

But the first that comes to mind is Bob Seger. He mentions different towns in Michigan in a few different songs. On the Live Bullet album, which was recorded live at Cobo Hall, he gives a shout out to Detroit. That’s not uncommon during a live album taping, but he also throws in a line about going down to John R & Bush to a massage parlor.

When I was growing up, everyone said the song Main Street was about Ann Arbor, but I don’t remember anything specific written in the song that points to that. He has a song where he mentions Kalamazoo, but I can’t remember which one. Betty Lou? (They rhyme, so that’s a good possibility!) I’m too lazy to go look. :slight_smile: