Songs Which Contain Recipes

I do agree that “muenster” is the more logical choice (given the song title) and I too have seen him many, many times. Perhaps it has been me that has been getting it wrong all this time.

The only disaster here is, that’s not nearly enough of any of these ingredients!

Harry Connick, Jr.'s “Recipe for Love”:

*A little bit of me and a whole lot of you
Add a dash of starlight and a dozen roses, too
Then let it rise for a hundred years or two
And that’s the recipe for making love

It doesn’t need sugar 'cause it’s already sweet
It doesn’t need an oven 'cause it’s got a lot of heat
Just add a dash of kisses to make it all complete
And that’s the recipe for making love*

etc.

Wikipedia cites Jimmy’s own company. Perhaps it’s your LP sleeve that’s wrong?

I’m going to bet a whole dollar that “Muenster” is a retcon. The original sleeve says “mustard.” I heard him play that song live about a million times over the last 38 years, including the tours immediately after the release of “Son of a Son of a Sailor.” It was always “mustard.”

But if the man wants to swear that it’s “Muenster” and has always been “Muenster,” I’m not going to argue with him. With Jimmy’s Ala-ssissippi accent, he could be saying “Neufchatel” for all you can tell in concert. :smiley:

The Eggs of Satan mentioned in post #9 are specified to contain no eggs (und keine Eier). Maybe “cheeseburger” is just a name.

And yes, guys who wear Hawaiian shirts regularly can always be described as fastidious. :smiley:
To paraphrase Homer Simpson, there’s only two kinds of guys who wear Hawaiian shirts: gay guys and big fat party animals. And Buffett doesn’t look like a gay guy.

Because of course sleeve lyrics have never contained errors in the history of the recording industry. :slight_smile:

I really wouldn’t argue the point except for seeing him explain, with some patient exasperation, just before barrelling into the song… “And folks? It’s MUN-STER. As in CHEE-EESE.” Blam, into the opening licks. And this was long ago, pre-parrothead. I pretty much stepped back from JB fandom when they showed up.

Someone left the cake out in the rain…

dodges bricks

Who doesn’t put mustard on a CHEESE burger?

Couldn’t link earlier – here’s the song, with detailed instructions for turning cocaine into crack:

What’s That Tastes Like Gravy? by King David’s Jug Band has some cooking directions in it, although I think it falls short of being a recipe. On the other hand, a lot of the singing is so incomprehensible that there might be a recipe hiding in there somewhere.

"A little bit of Monica in my life,
A little bit of Erica by my side,
A little bit of Rita is all I need,
A little bit of Tina is what I see,
A little bit of Sandra in the sun,
A little bit of Mary all night long,
A little bit of Jessica here I am,
A little bit of you makes me your man."

…okay maybe it doesn’t fit the OP but it’s a recipe for something…

Trump would grab it. :slight_smile:

Yes, but you’ll never have the recipe again.

I always assumed it was meant to be about beer, weak versions of which would have been a staple drink of English peasants, and stronger ones for special occasions. It works for whiskey as well, but that’s not a traditional English drink.

Sounds like an old fashioned version of the cocaine-to-crack recipe from Master P that I offered earlier! :smiley:

A complete aside, but always amuses me when people complain about drugs, sex, or violence in modern music, when there’s as much or more in traditional folk music (or bluegrass, or old blues, or any other similar thing).

Cab Calloway, A Chicken Ain’t Nothin’ But A Bird.

It’s got two kinds a pig
Ham and roast pork
A slice a white cheese
As long as your fork
And throw on a pickle –
If you’re ever in New York,
Just say “Cubano”…
That’s a Cuban sandwich.

Tom Russell, “The Cuban Sandwich” (a blues song about murder, lust, urban street violence, and Cuban sandwiches)

VD?

I came in to nominate Chocolate Salty Balls but got beaten to the punch.