Space Force!

Onesies.

Minor gripe: “Space Force” is clunky to pronounce. The two “S” sounds in quick succession.

Space Command would have been easier, and sounded cooler.

I would sure prefer efforts at multinational cooperation, instead of seemingly encouraging a race to (increasingly?) weaponize space - as well as spending countless $$$ while doing so.

“One thing I learned from TV, in the future, we’re all going to be dressed alike. Silver boots, silver jumpsuit, big white diagonal stripe…” (Seinfeld, paraphrased)

I’m thinking of repurposing an old uniform as a Space Force one. Mine is going to have patches… lots of patches. Kessel Run, Brandenburg Gate, Adama Maneuver: New Caprica, Battle of Serenity Valley, I Hacked the Kobayashi Maru…

I do wonder what kinds of awards and decorations the “Space Force” will be authorized to wear. Seems like it would be kinda hard to come up with pretexts.

Um… there’s no air in space. How are they gonna breath? D’uh.

That’s basically what the Russians did with their Space Force. Twice.

Ahem. I think you mean Tannhäuser Gate. Obviously a case of stolen valor!

(Also: Scarif, Yavin, Hoth, and Endor; Klendathu; Wolf 359…)

Gold Medal from the Prometheus School of Running Away from Things.

There’s an Air 'n Space Museum.

I’m fairly certain that the President actually thinks that there are going to be Space Force personnel flying around in space, shooting at stuff.

It’s one of the things I laugh at a friend of mine about, who is an Army Space Officer (other than the fact that he is an Army Space Officer).

He is happy because funding lines become less restrictive with the new Space Force, and capabilities can be procured faster.

Couldn’t people have made the same (lame) argument against spinning off the Army Air Corps into a separate Air Force?

There are 4 domains: land, sea, air, space. You cannot equate air and space. They are totally different realms with different rules governing movement within. It is totally logical to have space handled by a separate entity. Although NASA has had military overlap, it should be construed as a non-military organization for the exploration of space.

There are actually 5 domains - land, sea, air, space, and cyberspace.

You recommend a separate Cyber Force too?

This isn’t true. Space Force doesn’t yet have any funding beyond a handful of civilian personnel. Space Force will have its own acquisition department, separate from the Air Force, but here is the catch: the same several thousands of people doing space acquisition for the Air Force will simply be declared to be Space Force acquisition people. All we can expect is that Air Force Space and Missile Systems Center in LA will have a new placard in front of it. And, SMC doesn’t really have a great acquisition track record… so yeah, don’t expect anything to change in the near term.

I can’t remember the exact number, but when the Air Force was created, there were something like 1.5 million personnel involved. The Space Force is closer in size to the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps than it is the Coast Guard. Spending on military IT is around three times greater than spending on space… but nobody is proposing that IT is too unwieldy to spread across the services, therefore we need new generals and sergeants to deal with it!

The idea that military services are neatly aligned around domains is facile. The Army has more ships than the Navy.the Navy’s army has its own air force. The Army probably has more flying machines than the Air Force. The fact is that cyber and space are not a separate place, like how the air and the sea are physically distinct even though military operations may sometimes transcend that separation. The space and cyber domain transcend all domains, so we should think of it differently, and approach it by integrating military operations at the combatant command levels, as opposed to a bureaucratic stovepipe to manage the recruiting, training, and equipping of troops.

Not yet it doesn’t. But it will. Besides, I think this is a stupid idea. And I stand by my statement that the President only wants it because he honestly believes we’ll have Space Force people flying around space and to the moon and whatever. He probably saw “The Expanse” and thinks it will be like that.

The creation of entirely new bureaucracies would be consistent with past efforts by purported conservatives to reduce spending… :rolleyes:

Hmmmm…you may be correct.

I don’t understand what “it” is in your post. You quoted a paragraph and I’m not sure what part you are referring to.

Now that you mention it, I believe that falls under the NSA or maybe the FBI.

Sorry, I meant have more funding than a few civilian personnel.

Not necessarily, but unfortunately, I cannot discuss this particular part of cyberspace forces.