Space Force!

Hmmm… I have so far found it to be… Barely watchable. I’m finishing it in case it gets its footing, but it thus far it has rated a big “meh” for me.

I watched the whole thing, and I found the whole thing…watchable. It just seemed like they never figured out what they were trying to do, and it was a neither-fish-nor-fowl tweener. At times they seemed to be going for farce, but never got broad enough to get there. At other times, they seemed to be going for satire, but never got sharp enough to get there, either. It did manage to avoid Netflix bloat, but at the cost of swinging too far the other direction. It seemed like there were scenes missing from some episodes, and entire episodes missing from the season. And the last couple of episodes really seemed to jump the shark and go off the rails - yes, that was a mixed metaphor, which itself is a fitting metaphor for the confused nature of the show.

Still, it was just watchable enough, and there’s enough talent on screen, that I’ll probably give a second season a try, just to see if they figure out what they’re doing.

I think “watchable” is the perfect description, the laughs were sparse and it never climbed the heights of hilarity, but it had a good cast, high production values and enough of a plot going on to keep it watchable.

We at least need to find out why Mrs. Space Force ended up in prison!

That’s actually one of the parts I did like. It’s just so utterly incongruous. There’s no indication whatsoever that her sentence was unjust. So, she committed some crime so serious that she got a 40+ year sentence, but one that didn’t alienate her from her daughter or ultra-straight-arrow husband. Not to mention it was a crime committed by the ambitious wife of a high-ranking military officer, which didn’t apparently impact his career at all.

I thought the subtle running joke of everyone just treating it as a normal thing that the commanding general’s wife was in prison for some unspecified crime was one of the elements of the show that actually worked fairly well. If they ever reveal the crime, I think that’ll ruin the bit.

Only seen episode one, and am fairly unimpressed with the writing. The cast works hard, and there are some amusing bits, but overall it fell flat for me. For the most part, Carell came off as annoying, rather than amusing, and the supporting cast pretty much stole every scene. Except for Lisa Kudrow, who is as unfunny as ever; I honestly do not understand her presence in the acting business. I’ll give another ep or two a look, but there’s something off about this series. They could have done a scathing satire, but seem to have instead elected for sophomoric.

I switched off half way through ep2. Not enough laughs and I found Carrell’s character annoying.

This was obviously satirising people with a certain political outlook and their attitudes towards science and reason, and that I can totally get behind. But it needs much more subtlety to be funny IMHO. Perhaps over time they can add depth to the characters and comedy will flow from that. At least John Malcovitch’s character is promising.

And while we’re talking about satire - it can be a very powerful weapon but it’s much less effective if it doesn’t appeal to a broad base of people and things that bash you over the head with a political message generally doesn’t have a broad appeal. Too often satire is screamed into an echo chamber. Look back at some of the greatest satire in television history and it’s often most effective because it challenges its viewers and shifts opinion. I don’t think Space Force! is going to do that unfortunately.

As it happens, I’ve seen eight of the ten episodes so far. As for the portrayal of the military, I read an article that said Carell didn’t want to make fun of the military because his father served in the Army. As for the show, it’s been OK. The competition among countries is probably realistic even though they should be collaborating. And I particularly enjoyed the episode involving the space dog and space chimp.

It’s an absurd tv show (I like that) and they play it straight (I also like that) - and it doesn’t require me to think too hard. That’s what I’m in the mood for at this moment. I thought the Chimp episode was pretty great, so that’s where I’m at right now.

Also, I did some googling and we don’t find out what mrs space force did to end up in prison, but there are some theories…

Anyhow, chalk one up in the yay column.

That is pretty much it for me. It wasn’t horrible …or good. Maybe there will come a time when I have nothing else better competing for my time and I will revisit another episode. Likely, it was a one episode and done show.

Overall, it’s ok, but I hate the voice that Carrell is doing. Oddly gravelly, trying to sound, I guess, “military?”

I watched the first 3 or 4 episodes. It’s okay, nothing special. I don’t feel like comparisons to The Office are fair though. We compare Parks and Rec and Brooklyn 99 and even 30 Rock to The Office for good reason. If it wasn’t for Steve Carell in the lead role, I don’t think anyone would even think to compare the two.

Also, what’s going on with his voice. It seems to change from scene to scene? I can’t tell if he’s doing a voice or his voice has changed or it almost sounds hoarse, like he spent the weekend screaming or has a bad cold. It’s really odd. With your eyes closed, you almost wouldn’t even know it was him. Unlike, say, watching Despicable Me where you know it’s him.

I’ll watch a few more episodes, maybe I’ll even finish it out, but I’d be surprised if it gets another season.
As I read somewhere, it’s a waste of such a huge pool of talent.

3 episodes in and all I can say is, “More Marcus!” In fact, I would abandon this show right now if, instead, I could watch a Marcus spinoff.

Just watched the first episode last night. Since I had read a few unfavorable reviews beforehand, I watched with low expectations and ended up after ep.1 thinking “not bad”. As gdave and a couple reviews said, its main fault is not quite knowing what comedy / satire direction it wants to go in. Overall, as others have also said, it’s watchable.

Watched the 1st 2 eps. Reaction - a resounding “meh!” Think my wife liked it a tad more.

Quite a cast. My biggest problem was that its basic premise involved Trump’s ridiculous formation of the Space Force, and horrendous waste of $ and secrecy by the military - both of which I find extremely troublesome. Can be a touchy thing, to see if you can enjoy a comedy about topics you hate.

It seems very accurate. My one complaint is that the SETA played by John Malkovich should actually be cast as someone younger and more handsome (I’m thinking Matt Damon or Bradley Cooper) and should spend the bulk of his time presenting slide decks culminating in 5x5 risk matrices where everybody argues how to “burn down the risk” by rearranging numbers on a chart.

Stranger

Well, it also comes from the person who adapted and in many ways, created the American version of The Office.

I fully agree. I hope they never reveal it.

I think it’s a show with a lot of promise that was clearly a little bit rushed into production. I think with a little more time to settle it could be a really great show. It isn’t right yet, but it’s fine. It very much more than a 5/10, but expectations were high and it’s not the 9/10 show people were hoping for. I’m looking forward to a second season with the expectation that it will build on this.

I agree with this take; parts of it definitely feel rushed.

If the “wife in prison” subplot isn’t bloat, I’d like to know what you call it. If they were trying to make the General a tragic character it ain’t working. His neglect of his daughter is particularly unfunny, and took me out of it on several occasions.

It’s the “Penny’s last name” of SpaceForce. This is how you create a cult favorite, don’t you know?*

You know way too much. LOL! But honestly, Malkovich is the one keeping me in this. Which is interesting because he usually gives me the creeps. Turns out he’s just a very good actor who often plays creepy roles.

He actually reminds me of a nuclear safety engineer I worked with many years ago, under not dissimilar circumstances.

*No, it isn’t.