Space Shuttle Comments by newscasters

Sorry, forgot about Endeavor.

I logged on to say the same thing. She consistently mispronounced NASA all day long. I think she subliminally wants a vacation in the Bahamas.

Not to mention that the info was not even close. The shuttle was traveling at Mach 17-18 when it broke up.

Of course, earlier they said that the shuttle was traveling at “12,500 MILES.” It took hours for them to change it to 12,500 MPH.

AM radio Charleston SC (don’t know what news service was providing the TH feed, but…)

“There were definitely several visible entrails after the initial entrail broke into several smaller dots of light”

to answer the question in the OP:

the commentator was perhaps refering to the fact that the one Israeil astronaught on the flight had been born to Concentration camp survivors.

so, the comment that so offended you was probably directed to his parents, who had survived the concentration camps, gone on, became parents, only to have their son die in the shuttle disaster.

and I have to admit, that was pretty much what I thought when I read the blurb about the Israeli - geez, you survive that hell, go on live your life and see your son die on international tv. :frowning:

I’m almost positive that CNN has started using voice recognition software to input some of their stories. I have been noticing some really horrible - and obvious - typos lately, particularly homophones. I think they’re using speech rec and then aren’t proofing the stories closely enough.

I know the stories are done quickly and time is of the essence, but c’mon CNN! Hire some proofreaders!

The first thing I saw when I woke up this morning was Dan Rather swallowing a “Baba Booey” prank call from a Howard Stern fan hook, line and sinker. The caller claimed to be from Euless, TX (which they misspelled on screen as “Euleff”) and to have found shuttle debris in his yard. As soon as Rather started asking the guy, who had already given plenty of clues that he wasn’t for real, where “Euleff” was, I changed the channel to try to find someone with a clue.

On UK news (not sure if it was the BBC);
“NASA once stated that it had calculated the probability of a shuttle mission ending in catastrophe as something like 1 in 100; but there have now been two shuttle disasters in the space of only 120* missions…”

*(I can’t remember if this was the actual figure)

Bloody idiots and statistics - I’m surprised he didn’t just suggest they skip every 100th mission.

FOX News (God love 'em) spent the ENTIRE day pontificating about President Bush and Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge. For every mention of an astronaut, there were at least five of Bush, et.al. Who cares?!?!

Nothing false of fraudulent, just everything revolved around Bush (who was probably on his second Screwdriver by 9:00am).

And what the hell happened to FNC’s Katherine (sp) Herridge?! Was this chick in some sort of wreck?! She looks like she was sucked through a pipe!..with the intelligence to match!

Thank God for MSNBC. Easily the best coverage of the day. Not a weepy bunch of crapola like CNN or “lets-pump-up-our-illiterate-president-at-all-cost” approach like FOX News.

I was surprised ABC didn’t break in until 15-20 minutes after everyone else had, and then disappointed that they had no images or anything to show. Just a head shot of the anchor, and a shot of Mission Control. No graphics, nothing. I lost alot of respect for CNN today. I thought they did a very poor job all day long. I agree, MSNBC was excellent.

Journalists, especially TV journalists, are quickly becoming the new “lawyer” in terms of generalized despised professions. Whenever I am confronted with the outright stupidity and shallowness of people like this I have to repeat to myself “I’m just a sportswriter, I’m just a sportswriter…”

I was driving and listening to abc news radio

“Now more on the “disapearance” of the shuttle.”

This was hours after it happened.

and something about searching a “massive debris field”

I think she was drunk.

And now I’m hearing about how “brave” they all were. I admire these people tremendously for all their accomplishments and their drive to have actually been chosen to be on that spacecraft, but what is so “brave” about that?

I would give my left nut to be able to experience a flight like that, as would millions of other people. They were doing what they wanted to do and were unique individuals , but to me bravery is going to Iraq where people will be trying to kill you.

(please understand I am not critizing the astronauts, I’m talking about our beloved media)

—Reporters need to be hired based not just on their on air “look” but also in how they handle crisis events.—

That’s not how the Tv News biz works anymore. It’s sad. It’s not journalism. But it just isn’t how it works.

—I admire these people tremendously for all their accomplishments and their drive to have actually been chosen to be on that spacecraft, but what is so “brave” about that?—

Have you ever taken an incredible risk, on behalf of something you believed in, like those people took? Why isn’t that brave?

Actually - it is how it works. In fact, with budgets being squeezed tighter and tighter, there are few to none jobs left for “professional” presenters as TV anchors - ie people who weren’t journalists, and literally just read an autocue (even coming from theatrical backgrounds rather than news backgrounds).

Nowadays teams are so small, that you just can’t carry dead wood. When I worked in the UK in regional TV news, there were a couple of non-journo presenters, and they recognised they were a dying breed. It was also enormously frustrating doing an early or late shift, with a team of just one producer, and one presenter - and if that presenter was a non-journo, the producer’s workload was double. If the presenter was one of the other journos doing a presenting shift, they could muck in and do half the work.

Where I work now, there is no question of any of our anchors or on-screen correspondents being anything but experienced journalists. With the many live studio interviews we do, you really need a journo - to ask the right questions on the fly, to avoid legal fk ups, just to have that weight and gravitas and background knowledge to be truly convincing and compelling to an audience, etc.

Let’s see, we had CNN, MSNBC, FoxNews, ABC, NBC, CBS that’s 6 news networks on the air for the first 5 hours of the coverage. That’s 30 hours of on the air time. I’m just simply impressed by all of you in discovering that in those 30 hours a few dumb things were said and a few words were mispronounced. How utterly clever of you to dwell on each and every mistake. Of course, if any of you were on the air, you wouldn’t make a single mistake. CUT SOME SLACK!

I took a tour of CNN in Atlanta back in October of last year. They didn’t say anything about voice recognition software, but the Headline News segments are taped 30 minutes to an hour ahead of time on the weekends. The anchor runs the teleprompter and controls the camera by him/herself. They can break in and do live reports, but they’re not really prepared to do so as they have a skeleton staff running the place.

The OP comment from CNN could be taken as, the Israelies (even though there was no Israel during WW2) have rebounded from the atrocities of Hitler to becoming a space fairing nation then this happens.

But I do agree that CNN is very biased, Also want to add that Hitler’s concentration camps and the like was an atrocity (along witht he horrible human experiments commited by the Japinese), 9-11 was a attack on freedom and an atrocity, the space shuttle disasters (Chalenger and Columbia) were a tradegy

Bingo! I had the same thought yesterday, but rather about NBC’s coverage (though I did see the same thing on FOX). Every 10 minutes included a rehash of Bush’s “God” speech, or his wish to hug the families of the victims, or a timeline of where Bush was and when he knew. :rolleyes:

Frankly, in the face of a tragedy like this, I could care fuck-all about what Bush was doing, and hearing his little speech about the disaster once was more than enough. The breakup of the Columbia was not about Bush, and the networks that spent so much time focusing on Bush really missed the point, to me.

And to those who would say that I should just turn it off if I’m unhappy with what’s on… that’s exactly what I did, in short order.

CC printed “fine” with an Israeli pronounced “find” as “fine” this morning, but when Blitzer stuttered it did not type the word twice.
I’ve noticed phoetic misspellings, too and windered if it was voice recognition. On the other hand, perhaps it is a typist focusing on words rather than context.

I winder if I have the same spell checker as CNN.