spaghetti sauce

So…what store brand of spaghetti sauce do you prefer?

I’m quite happy with Prego. I used to make my own sauce (which is great :)), but Prego is pretty close and a whole lot easier.

I can’t believe anyone willingly buys Ragu. I’d believe it if I were told that “Ragu” is Italian for “horse urine mixed with vomit.”

That sounds good - I will have to try it some time. Mine is just a basic pizzaiola sauce: onion, garlic, tomato, oregano, maybe a little tomato paste to thicken it. Sometimes I puree the tomatoes, but not usually. Also, I brown the steak first and I only simmer it for about 45 minutes. Otherwise identical :wink:

My stepdad used to just buy jars of Ragu (cheap, I guess), but he always added crushed tomatoes and herbs. I think he added garlic, too.

This is a very inspiring thread! We’ve got about 100 spices downstairs and half as many cookbooks. It never occured to me how easy it is to make spaghetti sauce. I’m going to take a closer look down there…

Prego.

1 can of cut tomatoes (preferrably the kind w/ spices already added in or you can season w/ garlic, basil, oregano, etc.)
1 can of tomato paste (ditto with the spices added in)
1 can of water in the tomato paste container

stir together over heat, instant homemade pasta sauce! add meat if you’re so inclined. sometimes i use ready-cooked sausages.

As stated before homemade will out-rock any store sauce.

My personal preference though is fresh tomatoes over canned.
2 lbs of very ripe rome tometos, slit the skins with a razor blade, blanch, peel, remove seeds and chop.

The rest is basically Ikes recipe but I fry a half of a small can of tomato paste in the olive oil right before adding the wine.

I defy any canned sauce or even a sauce with canned tomatoes to match this.