Speak to me only in Science Fiction

I kill you filthy, Vorga!

“In one minute and twenty-five seconds, I’m going to kill you. Then, at fifteen-second intervals, Ringstorff and Lithgow.” He glanced at the pale-faced young woman shackled to the console next to the Mesans. “I will not, of course, shoot Berry Zilwicki. Her father is likely to take umbrage.” Cachat sounded vaguely miffed about it, the way a craftsman will when he is not permitted to do his finest work.

All those times I said “Kill all humans”, I always whispered “except one.” Fry was that one. And I never told him so.

“You’re Scottish, fry something!”

His former crew had also wanted more time off and a better cook – at least one who knew which end of a frying pan to hold. He was unable to comply, and so was forced to stop at Beowulf anyway.

Soylent Green is People!

F’nor staggered back, aware of nauseating pain, aware of Canth’s scream of protest, the green’s wild bawl and the brown’s trumpeting.

From the folds of her gown, she lifted a green metal cube about fifteen centimeters on a side. She turned it and Paul saw that one side was open - black and oddly frightening. Paul slowly put his hand into the box. He first felt a sense of cold as the blackness closed around his hand, then slick metal against his fingers and a prickling as though his hand were asleep…

“What’s in the box?”

“Pain.”

The universe has to move forward. Pain and loss, they define us as much as happiness or love. Whether it’s a world, or a relationship… Everything has its time. And everything ends.

Honor Alexander-Harrington had forgotten there could be that much pain in the universe. She knew it was a miracle her mother and her son had survived, and she knew she would never be able to express how unspeakably grateful she was for that incredible gift. Yet that gift came at the price of a dark and personal agony, for it was the last gift, the last miracle, Andrew LaFollet would ever give her. And now, the last—and the most beloved—of her original Grayson armsmen was gone.

"Why should I go on living?”

“Because the pain slowly fades, but the love is forever."

This concept of wuv confuses and infuriates us!

You feed on them. On the memory of love and loss and birth and death and joy and sorrow, so… so come on then. Take mine. Take my memories. But I hope you’re got a big a big appetite. Because I’ve lived a long life.

“It was a long time since he’d done any actual clinical work, and obviously his sojourn among the academics at Saro University had attenuated the professional detachment that allows members of the healing arts to confront the ill without being overwhelmed by compassion and sorrow. He was surprised at that, how tenderhearted he seemed to have become, how thin-skinned.”

“Yes,” Jainan said, pulling his hand away. Grief worked in strange ways.

Perhaps we could have figured this out about the Bugs by noting the grief the Chinese Hegemony gave the Russo-Anglo-American Alliance; however the trouble with ‘lessons from history’ is that we usually read them best after falling flat on our chins.”

“How many of these are just horrible mistakes I’ve made? I mean, maybe I’d stop making so many if I let myself learn from them.”

Coming here was a mistake… it was an accident… and it shouldn’t have happened.

I think I just made the biggest mistake of my life.

He was tempted to tell Storm the truth of why he was here, and to show him that science could find a way, without harm, to circumvent the too narrow restrictions placed upon it by the political mind. But that would be unwise. Better never to let anyone know how he had manipulated it so that a simple clerical error could account for the whole chain of events.