Spelling bees in other languages

Of all languages, Tibetan would lend itself well to spelling bees. They use an alphabet, unlike Chinese. Most Tibetan words are spelled as they were pronounced centuries ago, so there are a lot of extra, silent letters.

An example is the Tibetan word pronounced ree-may (Romanized to rime) that is spelled in Tibetan with extra, long-gone consonants as ris-med. Similar are Romanized gya-tso (or dja-tso) spelled in Tibetan as gyam-tso; and jih-mee (sounds like English name “Jimmy”) spelled in Tibetan as jig-me.

As already mentioned by a number of non-American dopers, Spelling Bees are very closely associated with America and are foreign to most non-Americans. When I was a child in the UK, then in Ireland, there were no such things and I have never heard of one in either country, since I have been an adult.

The only times I have ever heard of a something Bee would be a Spelling Bee and a Quilting Bee and the only people I have ever heard of doing either were Americans.

Is bee the full word or is it short for something? A bee to me is a buzzy yellow and black flying creature (insect?) which makes honey.

Speaking from my personal experience, I have entered national schools quizzes and debating competitions, so maybe that’s what we do instead of spell - to stimulate intellectual competition in school children

Dictionary.com gives the etymology of bee (as in spelling bee):