Spiritual books you'd recommend-

I stepped in to say Conversation with God by Neale Donald Walsch…found it to mirror my already distorted beliefs…

Also…Another Roadside Attraction by Tom Robbins

ymmv,

tsfr

Obviously it’s from a Catholic religious perspective, but **The Story of Soul ** by St. Therese of Lisieux. It’s her autobiography and talks about her way of meditating and praying, as well as how she translates her beliefs into everyday actions.

I’ll let you know where to send the money… :smiley:

H.D.'s Trilogy, consisting of “The Walls Do Not Fall,” “Tribute to the Angels,” and “The Flowering of the Rod” was the most spiritually moving book I’ve ever read, and certainly the one that moved me to go further in my own explorations.

Rikwriter, your comment to Lord Ashtar above comes perilously close to personal insult, which is not permitted in this forum. You’re on the OK side of the line at this point, I just want to be sure that nobody crosses the line …

A heated discussion about spiritual books. Who’da thunk?

Recently read “Interior Castle” by St. Teresa of Avila - but would only really recommend that for people interested in Christian spirituality.

Your reply indicates you are not that familiar with Sagan or the book in question.

No, you won’t, as you didn’t find the word “stupid” in my post.

Interesting that you would think that. Based on my reading of the book (still relatively fresh in my mind from having finished it within the last few months), I would think that, were he still alive, Sagan would’ve been one of the first in line to read The Secret and point out all the author’s flaws in reasoning and logical inconsistancies.

Please cite a line or two from DHW that support your assertion that Sagan would’ve recommended against reading The Secret.

Ah, so you’re now going to interpret the OP’s request as “tell me spiritual books I can read in order to shoot down the author’s flawed reasoning and logical inconsistencies?” That’s an…interesting take on things. :rolleyes:

Where in the world did you get that?

Never mind, don’t care. We’re done now.

From your contention that somehow me saying that DHW is a good book to read regarding spirituality meant that Carl Sagan would want you to read “The Secret” in order to debunk it.

You’d likely have been far wiser simply not to make your somewhat snarky comment in the first place.

[QUOTE=Malthus]
My preference is for a spirituality compatible with science. I never understood why those two ways of understanding the world are always portrayed as invariably antagonistic rather than complementary.

As a scientist, who is not as religous as I was as a kid…I have enjoyed reading The Universe in a Single Atom (the convergence of science and spirituality) by the Dali Lama.

It has kind of put things in perspective without being pushy.

[QUOTE=MTRG]

Interesting. I’ll check it out. :slight_smile:

I’ll add Merton’s My Argument with the Gestapo. This one qualifies for both of the OP’s categories (liked it, didn’t like it).

For my own tastes; Anything by HH the Dalia Lama, a very practical man this go round; Thomas Merton; wonderful example of Christian contemplative thought, and open to other interpretation; yep, Aldous Huxley, great synthesizer.

One book that is very helpful to modern spiritual thinkers, especially Southern ones, is Walker Percy’s Lost in the Cosmos; The Last Self Help Book It’s great, especially for writers and artists, helps to deliniate betweeen the sad ass life spaces of creating vs real world.

He’s labelled as a Southern Catholic Existentialist, which, admittedly, is a damn hard row to hoe, but he gets you therein compassionate tenacity and heartfelt exploration of soul
He realises the agony of separateness of being, in a very modern sense, and then tries to suss it all out with very capable mind. He’s way overlooked in modern spiritual sense, but I think Time will prove him to be an astute gage of modern intelligent spiritual mind.

This isn’t a genre I read much in any more, but your recommendation counts a lot with me, elelle – and the description sounds wonderful. I’ve ordered a copy – and will let you know directly what I think. :wink:

Whyever not?!

Okay, I’ve held off long enough, but curiosity has gotten the better of me.

Can somebody spoil The Secret?

Or at least identify it? I’d never heard of the book before, and a trip to Amazon.com brings up more than one book by that title, and I’m not sure which one is the one we’re talking about here. Can anyone give the general gist of the book?

I haven’t heard of The Power of Now, either, but I can at least guess what it’s about from the title.

If you think in the right way about things you want, you’ll get them.

There. I saved you twenty-five dollars.