Sports rules that have become obsolete, but still exist?

But without the intentional walk, we would have never had one of my favorite World Series memories. 1972, Cincinnati vs. Oakland. The Reds have runners on second and third with one out and Johnny Bench at bat. Bench works the count against Rollie Fingers to 3-2. Dick Williams, the Oakland manager, then indicates that Fingers should intentionally walk Bench. The catcher stands up but, as Fingers is releasing the ball, he squats back down and the ball sails over the plate for strike three. Bench stood there with the bat on his shoulder and never moved a muscle.

It was sweet. God, I hated the Reds.

People who are talking about the strike zone, double dribbling and traveling are missing the point of the OP. The question wasn’t which rules are not enforced, but which rules are effectively irrelevant due to equipment and strategy.

I think the OP is looking for rules that are almost never violated. The rules being discussed here ones that are routinely violated, but not called.

Well, depending on how Kentucky’s roster looks next fall, that may not be a dealbreaker.

/most worthless senior class EVER

Oh, Lord, yes! Sometimes I wish God hisownself would swoop down from on high and punish whoever started letting all the travelling get through. Jumping Jesus on a pogostick. Where are the fundamentalists when we really need them?

I suppose it’s just possible that the PGA’s lost ball rule fits this category. Given tv coverage and the large crowds present at every tournament, it’s nigh on impossible for a ball to get “lost” unless it goes into the water (which is covered by a different rule).

I don’t see how you get rid of it though, since it is still possible, just very damned unlikely.

Thank you, cmosdes. I think the thread wandered off track.

In baseball (the only rulebook I know well) I’d like to see someone violate 8.05(f) – delivering a pitch while not facing the batter. Or 7.08(i) – running the bases in reverse order, thereby making a travesty of the game.

I am not terribly familiar with the rules of golf so this is an open invitation to correct me (as if such is ever needed on this board :slight_smile: ) but it seems like golf is full of obscure and outdated rules, like the one that prohibits a golfer from improving his lie by placing a towel on the wet ground to kneel on, or the one that allows golfers to be disqualified from a tournament for accidentally signing an incorrect score card, when so often the only reason it is incorrect is because somebody watching on tv calls in to report an obscure rule violation back on the 7th hole that neither the player, the rules officials, or the other golfers noticed at the time.

Well, I would argue that while possibly obscure in some of its implications, the improved lie rules are not outdated. The fact that they come up every couple of years is proof of that to me.

I’m split on the signed scorecard rule. On the one hand, golf is a gentleman’s game and you are expected to know the rules. You also have the option (in the PGA) of asking for a ruling at any time. Once that ruling is made, you’re safe (even if the ruling itself is later determined to be in error).

On the other hand, in the modern game, would it really be that hard to have somebody keep the official score and modify it after the fact if necessary (like the towel incident)? Keep in mind that the scorecard you sign was actually filled out by your playing partner. If he makes a mistake and you sign it, the penalty is paid by you (which is why everybody also keeps their own score of course).

Rugby League still has laws about the conduct of scrummaging which are ignored by referees week in, weekout - much to the detriment of the game. The game really needs to rethink the whole scrum concept.

The intentional/ unintentioal forward pass rule seems to be obsolete as well.

mm

Dennis Martinez did that to someone in, I think, '95.

Ah, the Germany Schaefer Rule. Instituted after Schaefer pulled such stunts as stealing first.

I respect your opinion certainly, but the reason for the towel/improved lie rule escapes me. A rule without a justifiable reason for existence is just a trap for the unwary. Golf is hard enough (ie striking a ball with sticks designed for another purpose) without pitfalls like making it illegal to get your trousers dirty.

In cricket, there’s a law (they are not “rules” for some reason) that requires the next batsman to be at the crease, ready to receive, within 3 minutes of the fall of the previous wicket (see the MCC’s website).

I cannot find any instance of a batsman every having been given out in that way in any First Class game, although there are all sorts of stories about people being in the bog when required to go in and, famously, there is the one about David Steele getting hopelessly lost at Lord’s against Australia in 1975 when trying to find his way from the dressing room onto the pitch.

YES! Very frustrating to see this in all the major levels of the sport, pro or not. When I played basketball in high school, the whistle would come very quick for palming the ball even a little bit. Always called as double dribble, btw. Now, I see guys virtually doing doing Harlem Globetrotter tricks and never getting called on it.

As for the travelling, I blame the dunkers. All the way back to Dr J for me, maybe even further back. Did the ABA have a looser rule or something? Because I can regularly count numerous steps on replays of dunks.

On the other hand, rules like double dribble and travelling are being made obsolete as we watch because of the way the calls are being made (or not made).

No need to lecture us on the “intent” of the thread.

Probably because Timed Out does not apply if the umpires are satisfied that there is a legitimate excuse for tardiness - it’s only a wilful refusal to show that gets the batsman dinged. (And then only upon appeal - if the fielding side feel it beneath themselves to appeal, the umpires are not only not required to make a ruling, but cannot.)

A fumble out of bounds returns possession of the ball to the team who possessed it.

Unless it’s through the offensive team’s own end zone. In which case it is a safety. Which makes sense.

Or…

If it is through the offensive team’s TARGET end zone. In which case, it is a touchback. And a TURNOVER.

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot?!?

Ah! Another good one from cricket: the Lost Ball rule. It’s still on the books that if the ball becomes lost or inaccessible while still on the field of play, the fielding side can call “Lost Ball” to restrict the number of runs scored from that delivery to six (otherwise the batsmen could carry on running until the cows come home). This dates from the times when cricket grounds didn’t necessarily have boundaries - a ball that does cross the boundary is out of play, and if lost is replaced with another at no penalty to anyone.

Theoretically it could still apply if, say, a dog got on the playing field and ran off with the ball while still remaining within the field of play, although I suspect in most circumstances the batsmen would stop running and the umpires declare the ball dead. Theory or not, I know of no instance of the Law being applied since the 19th century.

The anti drug laws. I like my football players big and mean. I want 600 ft homeruns and 8 sec 100 yd dashes. If its ok by them ,its ok by me. As a spectator I want a spectacle.

Similar to the “drop kick” rule, there is an NFL rule that says on the last play of a half, you can fair catch a kick, and then you get a free kick to your goalpost for 3 pts.