Sports rules that have become obsolete, but still exist?

This makes perfect sense. I guess I unintentionally offered up an actual example of what the OP was asking for. I’m okay with taking the credit for that. heh.

Marty Morningweg (sp?), right? You’re right, that was far more boneheaded than Herm’s many blunders. (Herm was so incompetent with the clock it was surreal. In the end he actually hired an assistant coach specifically to help manage the game clock. The amazing thing is that even that didn’t help. Truly pathetic.)

The book I have on this (* Anatomy of a Game*, David M Nelson, 1993) indicates that the hurdling rule was changed to all players (and not just the runner) in 1985. The current wording of the rule, minus the exception, was established in 1986.

According to This NCAA release the exception allowing the runner to hurdle was added in 2001.

It has never been illegal to hurdle a downed player, although it was addressed in 1906.

Thanks. The play I saw, with the runner hurdling the would-be tackler, occurred in 1991 (Cal vs Purdue).

This is why the intentional walk is not just a mere formality.

I guessed that was why this thread was revived. :slight_smile:

The real issue – in addition to possibilities like this – is that an Intentional walk doesn’t slow down the game by more than a half minute or so; the pitcher generally gets it over with quickly. The two minutes a game (or less) that is saves is hardly significant.

That rule is there because it did happen once. Cf. Germany Schaefer.

That’s to keep a runner who’s otherwise about to be tackled short of the goal line from “accidentally” fumbling the ball into the end zone, conveniently right at one of his own teammates. Losing possession is a great deterrent, and helps keep refs away from the replay booth trying to judge intent.

In the NFL, hurdling seems to be called “leverage”, and does get called once in a while.

And the cars were garaged in Gasoline Alley even during the years when they burned methanol. But that obsolete name has been recovered, and obsolete rules can be, too.

NASCAR is about the only place left in the world where carbureted engines still predominate.

The Schaefer steal of first is an often-repeated story, but most sources have it wrong. The year & date (& sometimes opponent changes) but Schaefer never ‘stole’ first with Davy Jones on third. In each citation, the box of the game shows that Jones followed Schaefer in the batting order. The story is mentioned in Ritter’s “Glory of Their Times” & just won’t go away.

Also, the rule wasn’t changed because of Schaefer. Not only was Schaefer out of baseball when the rule was made, but he was dead.

There are three documented occasions of a player ‘stealing’ first base. Schaefer is one of them, but the ploy was unsuccessful.

August 13, 1902, Detroit @ Philadelphia, 2nd game of double-header. A’s have Dave Fultz on third & Harry Davis on first in the 6th inning. Davis takes 2nd without a throw. He goes back to first on the next pitch. Then he & Fultz pull off double steal.

July 31, 1908, St. Louis @ New York NL. With a lead of several runs over hapless St. Louis, the Giants fool around, play subs, etc. Late in the game, Fred Tenney steals second, then goes back to first & steals second again. He later argued that he should have been credited with three steals instead of the one he is credited with.

August 4, 1911, Chicago @ Washington, 1st game of double-header. Walter Johnson & Doc White are in a scoreless tie going into the bottom of the 9th. The Senators have Clyde Milan on 3rd & Germany Schaefer on 1st with 1 out, Schaefer stole second. Doc Gessler then struck out for the 2nd out. Schaefer then ‘stole’ first base. White Sox manager Hugh Duffy came onto the field to protest Schaefer stealing first. While he was arguing, Schaefer took off for second & allowed himself to get in a rundown. Milan then broke for home, but was thrown out at home by Eddie Collins to end the inning. The Senators argued that the play shouldn’t count as the Sox had ten men on the field (counting the manager.) The call stood & the Senators won 1-0 in 11 innings.