Square credit card reader app/device

Not in Canada. Some cards have merged function, but most people have a separate card that accesses their bank accounts.

I have used them as a consumer -

The first time I actually used one was in the depths of the Mexican jungle. We were at a zipline/4-wheeling adventure and they used these with iPhones. I thought it was brilliant, because they were far away from land lines and civilization.

I’m entering a PIN on a device; does it really matter if it’s a dedicated device or a smartphone/tablet app? You’re hardselling a distinction w/o a difference.

Spiderman, I edited out your references and response to the spammer, but left your question in case someone else here cares to address it in the discussion.

I’m the treasurer for our Cub Scout pack, and I have one of them for collecting money from people (annual membership, camping fees, etc.). It is more convenient than dealing with checks. On the other hand, my volunteer labor is free to the pack, so strictly speaking just dealing with checks would be cheaper. On the other-other hand, I suspect we get paid a lot quicker, since people typically have their cards with them when we’re reminding folks of what they owe.

It’s great. Most vendors at SF cons use it these days; they can take credit cards and Square’s cut is smaller than most anyone else. Easy to use, even if you don’t us it often (I sell an occasional book with it).

Another upvote for Square. They have a nice website, very acceptable terms, and no surprises. It’s easy to add products with prices and pictures for an easier checkout. Unlike my other merchant accounts I like how Square takes their cut before giving you the money (so if I charge the customer $100 I might get $97 deposited.) With my bank merchant account, I get all the money deposited that night (so if the customer was charged $100 I get $100), but then once a month the bank takes out their cut and fees.

If I had to think of a downside, Square deposits can take a few days but they always happen and I believe there is a way to speed that up.