"Squatting" on potential trademarks

I just get the impression that the law is worded in such a way as to make it that if you are a “foreign entity” all a US business has to do to get their hands on a domain name is show that they now have a vested interest in the name. Whether or not you have the domain for purposes of speculation or just to use as email or even just as a scrapbook if a company claims I am squatting on their domain they can just take the domain. I couldn’t afford to mount a legal challenge to some company just going and claiming my domain by using this “In rem juridiction.”

I have had my domain name for six years and the name is interesting and unique and also memorable if a company decided that they really wanted it how could I stop them. I’m a private person in a foreign country who owns a domain name. What protection do I have and how do I know that in five years time some US company wont say hey nice name thank you we’ll have that now.

My situation is that I have use a classic miss-spelling and phonetic pronunciation of some common words to come up with my domain name and registered (basement)business name in my country of residence. Very unique and too the best of my knowledge not trade marked but what is to stop someone trade marking the name and then just taking it from me?

And no at this point in time this is not the case at this point in time. I am only wondering, “what if?”.

How is a domain considered to be in one country or another? .com .net or .org are these domains now considered to be US property?

To some extent your concerns may be justified; to some extent you exhibit a bit of paranoia. I’ve tried to explain the legal standards here, but I don’t think you are really grasping them. I can respond “not true” to assertions like

until I’m blue in the face but if you really don’t understand the law, there’s no point in my doing so. (By the way: not true, not rue, not true, not true).

If you are truly concerned about protecting your rights, there are some issues you might want to consider:

Most companies who are trying to get a domain name are going to go the route of the U.D.R.P. first, because it’s cheaper. Fortunately for you, U.D.R.P. proceedings are relatively inexpensive and they’re conducted by E-mail. It would behoove you to ensure that your contact information in the Whois database is current. Information on such proceedings are at http://www.icann.org/dndr/udrp/policy.htm.

1. In a U.D.R.P. proceeding, the complainant will have to show what I said above. It is not a case in which they merely have to “show that they have a vested interest in the name.” They have to show that you have no rights or legitimate interest in the domain name, and they have to show that you registered and used the domain in bad faith.

What is bad faith? According to the U.D.R.P. –

If after losing under the U.D.R.P. (which makes their case very poor) or in lieu of that, if they go the route of the A.C.P.A., similarly, they have to make a showing of bad faith (unless you’re using a “famous” mark, in which case, you’re in a worse position). What is bad faith under the A.C.P.A.? –

So it’s not just a cakewalk for the plaintiff here, either.

Well, you say, you still can’t afford to answer the charges and what if the plaintiff just outright lies in her complaint? For one thing, if there was a previous U.D.R.P. decision, you can bet the judge is going to take the arbitrator’s decision seriously, even though they aren’t binding.

And, what I said before – if you acquire property in a foreign country, you have to be prepared to defend it in court there. If you have a .com, .net, or .org domain name, then you are holding property in the United States. If you don’t want to risk the chance of losing it in a legal proceeding that you can’t afford to defend, then you’re better off getting a “local” domain name. That’s all there is to it.

You seem to be overlooking one very basic legal principle in deciding mark infringement: Priority of use. Who had it first? Before a mark can be registered, research must be done to ascertain whether that mark, or a very similar one, is already in use.

I am unaware of any domain name ever being taken away by force from an owner who had priority of use to the mark. Rather, in such cases the domain name owner sells the domain name at a good price.

For instance, say for the fun of it you registered and used the domain name tweedledum.com. Then, a few years later, someone opened a chair of stores for baby clothing called Tweedledum. Their company’s lawyers discover that you already have a domain named tweedledum.com, which you have been using for several years before their business opened. They would like to expand their business to the Web, so they make you a handsome offer to buy the domain name from you. However, they would probably have little legal standing to in court to take the name forcibly from you, if you decided not to sell it.

A domain name is located where the registrar or the registry is located. So a domain name could have more than one location. However, the registries for .com, .net, and .org are located in the United States; thus, wherever else they might be, they are located in the United States. They are not “U.S. property” but they are “property located in the U.S.,” if you can see the difference. Similarly, .uk domains are located in the United Kingdom, and so forth.