"SSBN" - what does it stand for?

Quite right. However where the term really gets used is for SSBNs that get converted into boats that can only fire guided missiles.

Fer instance: The first four Ohio class (i.e. Trident) SSBNs are going to be converted over to SSGNs. Instead of being able to fire 24 ballistic missiles, they will be able to fire something foolish like more than 100 Tomahawks.

Citation?

Unless you are making a smaller statement than it appears, you are saying that the Navy and Army went through the time and money to relabel every one of their aircraft (and the USAF did the same for about 20% of their aircraft) simply in response to a misstatement in a news conference–rather than letting some undersecretary “clarify” the misstatement?

Why a duck wrote:

Launch tubes 3 through 24 would be fitted with 7-pack cruise missile canisters. The SSGN would have the potential to fire all 154 (22 x 7) missiles in as little as six minutes.

That firing rate would, I believe, count as a “unique capability.”

So you’ve got 154 cruise missilesthat you can let rip in six minutes to…, where?

What’s involved in retargeting all those missiles?

Here you go:

Anywhere we want. Bwa-ha-ha…

(and Dr. F, although 154 is the max, current plans call for something like only 14 tubes to typically be used for missiles, the others will be for Special Forces stuff.)

Everything you wanted to know about SSGNs

Ah. SEALS.

They always got all the neat toys…

Which is rather what I remembered about the change and is quite a bit different than suggesting that it came about because of a slip of the tongue in a news conference.