St. Louis fans you are not God's gift to baseball

Heh. I’m an Angels fan, and I’m with you! SoCal has such a reputation for lackadaisicle, no-nothing fans. I went to my first game when I was 3 weeks old and have been a fan ever since. I have tried hard to educate myself about the game (being a girl, I didn’t play), I get to the yard early and I don’t leave before the game is over.

But most fans around here just don’t care. Plus, CA has so many transplants that at some games, those cheering for the visiting team outnumber the home fans!

But I don’t get pissed about it. Not everybody loves baseball, I get that. Why whine that they aren’t “real” fans? They do their best… :wink:

I attended a game in Angels Stadium just two years ago and the fans seemed very interested and sincere. It was a packed house and they cheered like crazy.

Yeah, but they’re not the most knowledgable fans on the planet…

They are trying, though! God bless Mike Scioscia and Arte Moreno.

This idea was first proposed by the The Sporting News (Which is St. Louis based :smiley: )

This is obviously a fifth loss in a row fueled pitting, so I will forgive your blasphemy.

Angels fans are held in relatively high regard here in San Diego (hell, they’re not rooting for the Dodgers), even if they still hold a petty grudge* against Mike Piazza. I went to a game back when it was Edison International Field and I had an absolute blast. Great stadium, great fans.

It’s widely thought, BTW, that San Diego has the highest precentage of Cubs fans per capita outside of Illinois and Indiana.

• We’re all human, of course. I booed Kevin Brown relentlessly.

Need some more paint for that giant brush? Fuck you.

Boy, you’re rude. Must be a Cardinals fan!

See? We’re not all perfect.

The guy I alluded to earlier - he was so polite and knowledgable, he knew it would be cool to come to PNC Park and start yelling “Kendall sucks” at random intervals during the game. Was Jason Kendall at bat? Not necessarily. Was he involved in some kind of play at that particular moment? Nope! Just cool to go somewhere and make a fucking ass out of yourself.

Blues fans were also really knowledgable and polite. Yeah, that’s the ticket. That’s why the big story about any game that anyone went to was not about the game, or the team - it was always about the great fights people saw in the stands around them! Yeah - super fans!

I assume you’re being sarcastic? It’s really hard to tell from the way you constructed your sentences. Anyway, I used to go to a ton of Blues games, and I never saw any fights in the crowd. I’m not saying there weren’t any, but I never heard anything about that being some kind of rampant issue.

You gratuitously slime a dead man and you say Cardinal fans act like assholes?

Oh yeah, I remember you now. You were the guy that was CHASED out of Busch stadium. :rolleyes:

And as I re-read that thread, I see you’re still nattering about the whole “Kendall sucks!” thing, and still spinning that bullshit about fights at Blues games, ignoring everyone that tells you you’re wrong, in that thread and this one.

And that thread was from 2004. Good God man, find a new fucking hobby.

Oh fuck off.

Hentor gave what seem to me to be very decent reasons for not liking Buck.

He was a sports announcer, ferchissakes, not the Nobel Peace Prize winner or the man who discovered the vaccine for polio. Opinions about his aptitude at the job that made him rich and famous should not be stifled or held back just because he happens to be dead.

Even his largely complimentary Wikipedia entry gives a couple of examples of less-than-exemplary performances:

Given your apparent contempt for those who criticize the deceased, i guess you’d call me an asshole for saying that James Joyce sucked?

Get over yourself.

Ahhh, it all makes sense, now. It explains the almost pathological hatred for an entire city.

My father, born and raised far away from St. Louis, has been a Cardinals fan his whole life. He is a kind, intelligent and thoughtful man who would never think to misbehave in public. So you are grieviously mistaken in your assessment.

In other words, fuck off, you miserable little pissant.

I was going to argue with you about this, but you’re right, we Reds fans aren’t the world’s greatest optimists.

But 1990…man, that was beautiful

His death did nothing to change the fact that he was a horrid baseball announcer. mhendo’s anecdote is a great example - sure, one expects bias from the home team announcers, but he took it to a new level, rooting, arguing and calling things in favor of the Cardinals before they happened. It made listening to Cardinals broadcasts as a fan of the other team more than a little frustrating. Besides, knowledgeable baseball fans know that you never call for a home run, or you’ll jinx it. He would do this all the time - “How about a home run. We need a homer right now!”

No. I’m completely serious. My experience in St. Louis was of people - friends and co-workers talking the next day not about the game, but about the fights in the stands.

Actually, that was my brother, you dipshit.

You know, next time someone wants to talk about Cardinals fans, I might mention my experiences again! Or are you saying that one only gets to relate their relevant experiences once? As to tellling me I’m wrong - How could I be wrong about my experiences? You must be a really stupid fuck. I could have a limited sample, my experiences could be at odds with the way things are now, but it really isn’t the case that I could be wrong.

I’ll ask you - did you ever try to be a fan of a team in a different city while living in St. Louis? I think the hyperdefensiveness and insecurity of St. Louisans that caused them to not be able to tolerate having someone root for a different team is marvelously on display here. Maybe things are different than they were in the 70’s and 80’s.

It wasn’t clear that you were referring to me with this, your having responded to a quote from Dooku about me. However, my “hatred” for St. Louis comes from having lived there for 17 years and experiencing all that is shitty about it.

We moved from a nice suburban neighborhood in Pittsburgh to what should have been a similar suburban neighborhood in St. Louis in 1975. I remember incidents of shitheels passed out in our front yard. I found a used condom in the yard once. Someone left a beer in our mailbox. When I was 14, the 15 year old girl who lived next door told her 17-18 year old boyfriend that I used to annoy her (years before). He took it upon himself to charge at me right then. Fortunately, he was too drunk, so all I had to do was sidestep, and he went flying down about four steps into the driveway. Unfortunately, he was too drunk to really feel that, so he was still able to get up and push me around the yard for a bit.

A bit later, someone pointed a gun at me after trying to cut me off in traffic, and another woman chased my car down, whipped my door open and kicked me in the thigh. However, I’ve told those stories previously on the SDMB, so I better not repeat myself, or Dooku will give me a serious chastisement! :eek:

Ri-ight.

Next time, don’t forget the smilie.

C’mon. Next you’ll be telling me that it’s okay to talk to a pitcher in the midst of throwing a no hitter.

I’ve encountered too many people who believe these things to assume you were joking!

Next up, “protection” and hitting sacrifice flies on purpose! :smiley:

My mistake, then. Still, it’s just anecdotal evidence to anecdotal evidence. My experience was apparently very different from yours, and neither of us have proved anything. I guess that’s why this is the pit and not GQ.